Lauren Guest

Default small children and hot tubs

I am looking for information about whether or nor it is safe for small children to go in hot tubs. My mother-in-law recently had my 3 year-old daughter stay over at her house and she wanted to take her in the hot tub. When I voiced my concerns about accidents I had heard about involving small children and hot tubs, everyone acted like I was being a crazy overprotective mother. Any info that anyone has on this subject would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Default RE: small children and hot tubs

Well, obviously, children need to be closely supervised in any hot tub, as most are 3 feet deep in their most deep section. I'd suggest one or more adults be in the tub. The temperature must also not be too hot (98 or 100, but not more). And of course, the chemicals must be properly maintained. Other than that, I don't see any particuluar reasons why a 3 year old can't go into a hot tub (I know our sons loved it at that age).

best wishes,
    Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
    BABY BARGAINS

Deana Guest

One of the other concerns is the suction mechanism at the bottom. But, as long as there are adults carefully watching your daughter I don't see that this would be a problem. Also, I don't think anyone is supposed to stay in for longer than 15 minutes or so (so they say) because the hot water drops your blood pressure.

vbfc Guest

Lauren

YOU ARE RIGHT! YOU ARE NOT BEING A CRAZY OVERPROTECTIVE MOTHER. Don't let the relatives make you nuts for no reason. Always go with your gut.

That said, The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) agrees with you. Check out CPSC Document #5112, the Consumer Product Safety Commission "Spas, Hot Tubs, and Whirlpools" standards at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5112.html

The CPSC even said " In 1987, CPSC helped develop requirements for temperature controls to make sure that spa water temperatures never exceed 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Pregnant women and young children should not use a spa before consulting with a physician.

Please, don't let anyone take your child in a spa until she is much older - and then it still be you who takes her in.
    The CPSC said the drownings are the main hazard from hot tubs and spas. (the same as that from pools). Since 1980, CPSC has reports of more than 700 deaths in spas and hot tubs. About one-third of those were drownings to children under age five.

What 5 year old needs to unwind in a hot tub?? It is just not worth the risk. You go girlfriend - keep that baby girl of yours safe - and out of the hot tub!

vbfc