cara1 Guest

Default Refusing to take a bath

I know others have posted about this before, but I was wondering how it was resolved. DS (17 mos) has enjoyed his bath immensely. But this past week, every bath has been a screaming match. I think it began last week when the pizza guy came as I was putting him into his bath. He refused to get into the tub, and ran out to the door, naked, to see who was there. Even after the pizza guy left, he wouldn't get in. He stood the whole time, screaming, standing, actively climbing out. I even got in there with him; it didn't help. He's been the same way for each bath since, even if DH does it. Yesterday we took him into a pool (kiddie) for the first time. Although it took a good 20 minutes for him to feel comfortable, he then was running around all over the place. So I was hoping tonight's bath would go better. I was wrong. I could barely even wash him. He just stood and screamed. Any advice?

KathyO Guest

Default RE: Refusing to take a bath

We just went through this with 2-year-old DD. What really seemed to solve it was the bath play centre we put in the tub that spouts water and runs a water wheel and does other fun things when you push the buttons and twist the knobs. It's basically a box with suckers that attach it to the wall and the side of the tub. The one I have is out of the thrift store (I wanted to find one just like the one I had as a kid), but I'm sure that such things are available somewhere new. DD had to get IN to the tub to play with it, and was so preoccupied with it that we could do the bath no problem. You could also introduce other weird variations, like a floating margarine tub with cheerios in it that he could eat in the bath - for some reason, alfresco food always seems to be a big treat with kids... There's also fingerpaint for the tub walls, and fingerpaint soap for the child to paint on their tummy and arms and whatnot...

Hope that helps -

KathyO