ddmarsh Guest

Default Did anyone see the NYTimes Magazine Babyname Article?

It was really interesting on trends and so forth. The authors of Beyond Jennifer and Jason were quoted quite extensively and even gave a list of the top 12 boys and girls names that they expect to be really big by the year 2010. Unfortunately among them was my sweet Lily :(. Just wondered if anyone else had caught this.

Debbie
    Mommy to 3 DS's, 1 DD

mharling Guest

Default RE: Did anyone see the NYTimes Magazine Babyname Article?

I just registered on their site and am going to read it now. If anyone else is interested, here's a link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/magazine/06BABY.html

Name - bbbmh
    PW - names

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

jojo2324 Guest

YES! I was really excited to read it, until I saw the girl name we've chosen for baby #2 listed there. Drats! Gannon was going to be Olivia, but did you see their prediction for its position at #2 in 2010? I still think it's a gorgeous name, but there are definitely more and more popping up in the past few years. And even though the name we've decided on is mentioned, I haven't really heard it used at all.

Still undecided about a boy's name.

MegND95 Guest

I just read this article and found it very interesting. When we chose to name our dd Abigail, we did not even think to check the popularity of the name. Partially, b/c we had another name picked out until about 15 minutes before she was born. But since her birth only three years ago, the name has become more popular. Our son's full name is Andrew James, although we address him as AJ. We did not realize his name, Andrew, was quite so popular either. But, I can't imagine many AJ's in one class!

I think I might even buy the book mentioned in the article to help us pick a less commonly used name for number three!

I used that book to name my son 12 years ago. (unfortunately they missed the "Jacob" trend, or else I missed it), and I used the updated version to help with Logan's name this time.

I wanted an unusual name, but not too unusual. I sort of wish we'd had the guts to name her after my grandmother, but Mildred was just a little too old fashioned and not in a good way. I do believe that Logan will not be the only Logan in her class, but she may be the only female Logan. :)

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

parkersmama Guest

Great article! We struggled so much with names. I wanted names that were easy to spell and pronounce but unusual enough that everyone at the playground didn't share them. Tough to find! The boys' names are unique enough that you don't here them everywhere but not quite so with Amy Grace. A lot of the reason that we'll call her by a double name is to make it different from everyone else. I guess Amy isn't all that common a baby name these days but Grace definitely is! Our second choice for her was Susanna and it's like number 900 or something according to the SS Admin! Guess we might have been better off for uniqueness with it! LOL!

edited to add: Emma was my grandmother's name and I've wanted to use it since I was a teenager but chickened out when it started skyrocketing to popularity! If either of the boys had been a girl, they'd have been Emma. I still love it. :-(

ddmarsh Guest

One thing I tought was so interesting that they highlight is how you'll be attracted to a name and not have heard it but somehow not long after you use it there are thousands of them. This happened with Chloe for us. You never heard it with my other children and I really loved it, but then as we were trying to get pregnant this last time and as I was pregnant I began to read about how it had skyrocketed so we decided not to use it (this is just our choice - it is a beautiful name). I tried really hard to find a really feminine name that was not rare but not in the top 25 or so and thought I had found that - according to the article that won't be true for long!

Debbie
    Mommy to 3 DS's, 1 DD

The only drawback to using Sophia is that I KNOW there will be other ones in her class. Oh well :(

As far as I'm concerned there's only ONE! :)

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

DDowning is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is interesting. When we were selecting names we wanted a good strong boy's name but wanted something other than Michael, Jacob, Jason, etc. We selected Carson because of its strength and uniqueness as well as the fact that, knowing how kids can be cruel, its really hard to rhyme anything with it. But as I see from this link, its a more popular name than I thought - it moved from 431 in 1991 to 106 in 2002. Thats quite a jump but as far as I know, he's the only one around here! :)
    Deidra

Mommy to
    DS (2003)
    DD (2005)
    Kelly's Kids Consultant