scubagear Guest

Default Using a blanket in the crib

My baby is due in November and I'm not planning on using a blanket on the baby at first, but I was wondering... when is it 'OK' to cover your baby up with a blanket and not have to worry about tucking the blanket tightly under each side of the mattress?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Using a blanket in the crib

We used a blanket right from the beginning, but it was a very loosely crocheted blanket so it would be virtually impossible to suffocate by burying your face in it.

A good alternative is blanket sleep sacks - like those from Carter's and Halo. They keep baby nice and warm and don't get kicked off, plus don't offer the suffocation risk.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

We swaddled Sophie for the first four months or so with an open weave cotton blanket. The swaddling really comes in handy in the beginning, so you might want to seriously consider it instead of just using a blanket. Little ones frequently flounder around (immature nervous system), and they tend to wake themselves up. The swaddling also makes them feel more confined, similar to the womb.

Once we stopped swaddling, I would cover her with the same blanket up to her elbows, but she wiggles around so much at night, it would just end up by her feet anyway.

I still sometimes try and cover her a little bit, but it usually just ends up kicked off.

For the BEST swaddling instructions (complete with pictures) check out a book called "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp. I could take or leave the rest of the book, but the swaddling technique is awesome!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

the Happiest Baby on the Block (we preferred the video to the book) and for use swaddling was the key to a happy, sleeping baby. We swaddled abbie with extra large receiving blankets and later with open weave cotton blankets until she was almost 5 months old. After we were done swaddling, we used sleep sacks (halo and carters) until she was about 8 months old. For the last few months, we've just used footed sleepers when it's cool or nothing if it's warm.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree-- swaddle!!! I worried about a receiving blanket, but won't with my next baby. New babies don't roll. If you have a good tight swaddle, they're fine. Also, by five months of age or so, Abigail had really fallen in love with her receiving blankets, and she wanted to sleep holding onto one. I let her do that. A big quilt I would steer clear of, but a small, light cotton blanket doesn't worry me.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

jojo2324 Guest

We used sleep sacks for much of his first year, coupled with swaddling and tucking blankets around and under. He kicked out of those swaddles like he was Houdini junior.

I started using a blanket a month ago, a lightweight cotton one from Gymboree, similar to Carter's. For me, it was a matter of MY comfort level.

scubagear Guest

Thanks for the emails! One more question though - would I swaddle and use a blanket sleep sack? Or is it one or the other? I know I can ask my doctor these questions, but I love hearing all the moms opinions!

Thanks again!

I swaddled both my girls until about 8 or 9 months (with their arms out). We keep our house cool at night, so during the winter, they slept in a onesie, blanket sleeper, and blanket (or two!). :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It depends on your baby and your house, I think. Abigail got too hot if I swaddled her with a sleep sack on. I used those little baby gowns at first, then just a onesie. Now she tends to sleep in shorts and shirts pajama sets.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

kapow Guest

What a timely post! Ian is almost a week old and we're keeping him swaddled pretty tightly. He can get his arms out but can't kick through the rest. I swaddle him with a light flannel blanket and then cover him from elbows down with another blanket, which I tuck in around him (not around the mattress.)

I was going to post a question about how long should I keep swaddling Ian...I guess I have an answer now. Thanks!