Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mporter Guest

Default Does anyone avoid Wal-Mart and Sam's Club b/c of social concerns?

I'm talking about union busting, not paying employees for all their hours worked, sex descrimination (not promoting women) and the fact that the stores are filled with clothes made in sweat shops. Just curious as to whether this is on people's radar screens.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Does anyone avoid Wal-Mart and Sam's Club b/c of social concerns?

yes, but i avoid it more because it is nasty and the customers tend to scare me. my other good reason is their tendency to limit workers to 1 hour under the minimum where health insurance is mandatory.

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's terrible!

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I stopped shopping at Walmart about 10 years ago b/c the corporation was trying to eliminate the use of manufacturers' representatives. Their theory was that the companies selling to them should use salaried sales people, and Walmart would get a discount from the manufacturers b/c no commission would be owed to the independent sales reps.

This is a problem b/c the manufacturer would have higher costs and the reps would lose their income from commissions. Walmart would pay lower prices, but only so that they could collect higher profits. There was never any intention to provide lower prices to consumers. The only one who would benefit from this would be Walmart.

Walmart stores are dirty and disgusting, poorly stocked and their prices are *not* better than those at other stores. I also prefer to patronize locally owned stores, rather than corporate bullies.

Their predatory personnel policies are just one more reason to avoid their stores.

JMTCW

mporter Guest

"That's terrible!" -- referring to what?

elvisfan Guest

I shop there out of convenience alone for groceries and everyday sort of things. When another company decides to build a combination grocery/everyday sort of store in my community,I will happily shop there. Until then, I'll be rolling back.......

mporter Guest

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

pritchettzoo Guest

From reading many of Melanie's other posts, I'd guess that she's referring to the way the workers are treated, etc. as terrible and not referring to avoiding Wal-Mart. I know she can speak for herself, but in case she doesn't check this thread again or doesn't see it for a while...

Hopefully I'm not out of line!

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have to agree with Shannon. Our local WalMart is the same way. It is a terrible shopping experience and their prices are NOT better than the lovely Target RIGHT NEXT DOOR that I love shopping at!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Anna's Right! (Thanks)

Most specifically referring to this:
    "their tendency to limit workers to 1 hour under the minimum where health insurance is mandatory."

As a prior retail worker, that irritates me. I'm not surprised though, the employees are always grumpy/rude/non-caring, which IMO is a direct reflection upon how they are treated.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast