Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default RE: Minivan VS SUV : Pros and Cons?

GAS!!! I sold my Explorer because I was spending $240 a month on gas alone! That's close to a car payment! Between my car payment for the Explorer and the gas payment, I could have had a Jag!

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    5-1-03

papal Guest

Tammy, I have no experience with either (we have a sedan) but from what I have read, SUVs have much poorer gas mileage than minivans.
    I am not trying to open a can of worms or anything, i just wanted to share this hoping it will play some part in your decision making.
    We honestly would not consider an SUV because it consumes more gas. That makes it less economical and less friendly towards the environment.
    But primarily, more gas means we are contributing to an increased dependance on certain oil-countries that supply that gas.
    I truly believe that world peace has a lot to do with WHO has the oil and WHO wants the oil.

Just my 2 cents. Please don't flame me SUV owners!!

ETA: Tried to make my sentences better.

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went from a Toyota 4 Runner to the Volvo XC90 in January. I was tired of driving a "truck" and we needed third row seating for occasional use, but were not ready to make the jump to a mini-van. I cannot say how much I love this vehicle. It drives like a car, I don't have to "lift" Nick up into it like I did our 4 Runner, it has lots of cargo room (it has as much space behind the 3 row seat as my sister's minivan), has an integrated booster seat, and the middle seat in the second row actually "slides" forward if you want it closer to the front row (this would have been nice when Nick was a baby!). We also got a DVD installed as we have a car hater and figure with two kids we won't be able to fly as much for trips. I am so happy with this purchase!

Susan
    Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
    & Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

jojo2324 Guest

Rashmi, those are my thoughts too. I like the look of some SUVs, but I will not buy one. And most of my "big" errands (BJs, Target) are some 40 minutes away from me. Do that 2-4 times a month and it really adds up.

Tammy, we got a Passat wagon this past summer, pre-Sorrel, so pre-two car seats. It's a great car, but I was hopping up and down trying to get the Nissan Quest. DH won. He was driving it (the Quest) around and said, "I can't do it, I just can't do it." My argument was that we could get a wagon now, and in two years when I'm preggo again, get a van. Or...get the van now! Also, *I'm* the person driving it!

We are SO cramped in the wagon. Even DH has conceded that we probably should have gotten a van. (Harumph!) We've traveled twice in it and it was ridiculous how little space there was. Now, we can't fit a 5th person into the car. Usually, I'm the lucky one who gets to squeeze my large behind between the two car seats. NOT easy, nor comfy.

I will get my Quest sooner or later, though the Sienna looks nice too. The Quest has to work out a few design issues, IMO. Also, why the heck don't they make big station wagons anymore?? Every design is so tiny compared to what they used to be. The biggest is probably the Volvo, but even that is small once you get over two kids.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I am researching buying a minivan or a station wagon and have found that minivans have better gas milage than I thought. I crossed SUVs off my list since:

We live in a larger city- not necessary at all.
    Gas guzzler (but getting better, I hear)
    Higher chance of rolling over
    Bumpy ride
    I would be crucified by my lefty nieghbors- I live in Seattle after all!
    Not many have third row seating that is functional.

All in all, looks wise I like the Subaru station wagons best, then the SUVs (don't tell my democratic caucus!) and then minivans.

But looks are not my top consideration- I need something safe and economical!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

We have had a 2004 Sienna for five months now and keep saying how thankful we are that we decided to buy it instead of another SUV! We like it so much more than my husband's Jeep Grand Cherokee. (We don't own one of the huge SUVs so I can't compare it to that, of course, but I wouldn't want one of those anyways due to the terrible gas mileage and high price.)

We really do like the looks of our Sienna. I must admit that I've never thought I would own a minivan due to their looks, but I actually find the Sienna to have a sporty "hip-mama" kind of look. We also like that it has one of the major benefits of an SUV: our Sienna is AWD too.

Here are the main reasons we like it better than our SUV: (1) It has much more cargo room than DH's Jeep. In just the last few weeks, we've been able to haul a large dresser, a couch and loveseat (in separate trips), and other bedroom furniture in it which did not fit into the Jeep but fit well in the Sienna (without even having to take the second-row seats out--just lowering the back-row seats into the floor). I love being able to carry so much in the back while still comfortably seating four people. (2) We have DS's carseat in a seat, which we have moved in a position away from the door but it's not as far in as the middle position of an SUV. Thus, it's safer than riding in a seat right next to the door but not as far to lean in to put him in the seat. The height of the Sienna also makes it easier for loading DS in and out of his seat (much easier on my back!). (3) It's nice to be able to have our family ride together with us in the Sienna when they come into town to visit. Even though I'm 5'10", I have no problems at all getting into and riding in the third row (unlike a Honda Pilot that we test-drove). (4) I am SO MUCH more comfortable riding in the back seat with DS in the Sienna than I am in an SUV (especially because I'm sitting behind my 6'9" DH, who has his seat pushed back all the way). I have much more leg room in the Sienna and like the captain's chair too.

I could go on, but you get the idea... Much to our surprise, we've become full-fledged minivan converts! :)

I recently switched from a Ford Explorer to a Dodge Grand Caravan. It has been a slight adjustment for me (I LOVED my Explorer!) but I do prefer the minivan for several reasons :

1. Power sliding doors, power rear - INVALUABLE! I hit the button, DS claps his hands and sys "bye bye car!" and climbs into the van. He then proceeds to get into his car seat. He was NEVER able to do this with the Explorer and it was a constant battle, trying to get him in the car. As far as the power rear door, what a blessing it is when I am lugging my toddler, shopping bags, pocket book, diaper bag, etc..! All I do is hit the button which is located on my key...

2. Space - We have the stow and go seats. They are excellent! Just today, we drove down the street and found some of our neighbors were having a yard sale. We purchased the Little Tikes climb & slide cube. All we did was put down the seats in a 1-2-3 and literally slid the cube right into the van. No hassles and DS was able to stay right in his seat without anything coming near him. My in-laws were here for Easter and we drove around with them. It was so nice. We put one of the second row seats down and left the third row up so they were able to sit "limo style". They were very comfortable in the back. A vast improvement from sitting squashed next to the car seat in the past...

3. ETC... - I love the van. It is super comfie. We have a 6-disc changer and have the power to have DS watch a dvd in the back and listen to it with the wireless headphones while we listen to the radio. I love the fact that I can change the radio or adjust the volume by hitting a button on my steering wheel. I love the fact that I do not feel a "pull" when I make a sharp or fast left turn anymore. That used to scare me to death. Of course, I never really noticed it until I was driving DS around. I used to also hit his head every so often on the car when trying to get him into his RA (height of the car + height of the SUV + incline of my driveway = BAD for Matthew).

CON- Not very cool...ALTHOUGH my DH has had some interesting conversations over the past couple of weeks with men who heard we got a new van. It spread like wildfire throughout our social circle and it is the GUYS that want to know all about it and check it out. They think it is COOL. Who would have thunk it??? Certainly not me! LOL...

We had kicked around getting an Expedition or Suburban but in the end knew this was the right choice for us. We drive to NY, AR and FL a couple times a year so we needed something that had decent gas mileage as well as comfort for a long trip. I also wanted something family friendly. I don't know that I would drive a minivan once DS is in HS (we probably would go back to a large SUV at that point) but I do believe a minivan is a great choice when raising young children.

HTH! (sorry I rambled on and on...)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

mteve Guest

Katie-

My husband and I just bought a 2004 Subaru Outback Wagon. I LOVE it! It handles like our beloved '97 Honda civic, but sits a bit higher with tons of cargo room. It also has 4 airbags - front and sides. As one of your proud lefty Seattle neighbors, I highly recommend it!

Eve
    Due with Knox Edward 5-13-04

DDowning is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the 2004 Nissan Quest SE. Can't say enough good things about it. I remember it took some doing to get DH over his "minivan phobia" but like someone else mentioned previous, I'm the one that drives it, not him!
    Deidra

Mommy to
    DS (2003)
    DD (2005)
    Kelly's Kids Consultant

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Do you think the Subaru Outback would fit 2 (count'em 2) REAR facing Britax car seats? I tried and it seemed snug but I just set the seats on the seat and did not install them or try and sit in the front seat with them behind. We are thinking about having a second baby in about a year, which is what prompted me to research larger cars. As much as I love our 98 Corolla, the Corolla is not going to hack 2 rear facing Britaxs! I am really into the Subaru idea but am worried about the car seat thing.

Since you are a Seattle dweller expecting a newborn check out www.pepsgroup.org. The Newborn Program is great!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast