Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Minivan VS SUV : Pros and Cons?

well at least it looks like our current suv is pretty darn safe. we have the mercedes m-series. when we bought it, it was the safest suv on the market (and we got a great deal, so hard to pass up!)

definitely will read this article more thoroughly and pass onto my hubbie to evaluate also.

also, our suv does get pretty good gas mileage compared to most suv's but we will definitely compare it to those of minivans.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

sbjf Guest

I guess I'm one of the few 'mom geeks' who really wants a mini-van! LOL :-) I also never thought I'd want a mini-van but slowly this strong desire for one has overtaken me.

Here are my reason (some are just weird 'me' reasons):

1. They are the safest rides for babies. I'll be carting around precious cargo and it pleases me to know that I can do this in the safest way possible.

2. It took me a long time (and 3 more weeks to go!) to actually become a mom, and now I want the world to know that I'm a mommy and we're a family, I think that's cool :-)

3. I need my space. I'm tallish, dh is tall, we like to carry a lot of gear with us and I like to be able to be organized about it and spread out.

4. I love convenience. Mini-vans are easy on the owners, as most people attest to here. Toddlers are able to get in and out on their own, not so for many, if not all suv's. I find it really annoying to have to bend down to a car and reach up for an suv, with a mini-van, it's a nice height for everyone.

5. My dh hates road trips, I love them. I prefer to drive an be on our own schedule than have to fly and be on 'their' schedule. So I want to make him as comfortable as possible for these road trips (he's 6'3") I think a mini-van would do that.

Problem is, I'm not working and we're trying to be good with our money. We don't really 'need' the mini-van since we have a nice new Accord, plus a paid off 96 Explorer, plus dh drives a take home car, but darn it I want one!!!!!!!!! I'm still working on it :-)

My advice, GET THE MINIVAN!!! Look at it this way, all of Hollywood is embracing parenthood, it's hip to be a mommy, go with it all the way!! LOL!

Let us know what you wind up doing!

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We have the MDX which is a fabulous car for the moment w/one child but I can see us running out of room once we have more than one. I have always had phobias about being a minivan mom but DS always wanted one. I have to say I'm caving too. We checked out the Sienna + I loved the split seats in the 2nd row + all of the space. We're waiting to see the 2005 Odyssey since the MDX is built on its platform + we've alway been a Honda/Acura kind of family but I do believe a minvan is on the horizon! The better gas mileage is also a plus. =)

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This may or may not apply to you, but I thought I'd throw it into the mix. Our SUV seats 7 in theory. However, if I wanted to go out with friends and thier babes- or travel with them, I'd need to put 4 carseats in. This would be a huge hassle because to access the back seats, you have to fold the front ones forward. Also, though I feel like I'm driving a tank, when the third row seats are up, there is very little room for cargo.
    Can you tell I'm lusting after a minivan??!!;)

mteve Guest

Katie-

2 Britaxes in the backseat of the Outback would be tight - definitely no room for anyone else in the backseat(such as Grandma or Grandpa). Also, my husband is about 5'11", and he pretty much positions the drivers seat as far back as it will go - we haven't installed the carseat yet (Graco Snugride), so I'm not sure how squished it might get. He feels that if he were a few inches taller, he might be out of space in the drivers seat- so if you're very tall, you might want to consider that as a negative. I'm the primary driver of the Outback and 5'5", so once we get a Britax it will likely not be much of an issue. We aren't planning on #2 for a few years, so we won't have to worry about the double rear facing carseat dilemma. I really like the maneuvarability of the Outback - very easy to park, good turning radius, lots of visibility- things that are pretty important to me when it comes to driving in general. We test drove a Volvo XC70, and I actually liked the Subaru better (the Volvo felt stiffer).
    We never considered an SUV due to the maneuvarability, gas, center of gravity and accessability issues. I probably would've gotten a minivan if not for the Outback.

Thanks for the link to Peps!

Eve

Thanks for the link to Peps!

Eve

Eve

tinkerbell1217 Guest

We are toying with getting an MDX for 2006. By then, my DD will have her own car, my DS will still be riding with us, and we will have the baby. We do not "haul" alot of things so LOTS of room isn't actually a BIG deal. We have a Grand Caravan right now and its getting tired! Well, I am getting tired of it! I have had a minivan for 4 years now and am wanting something a little more "stylish". How are the safety ratings?? Do you know? And, should we really be worried about room?? With one child in a car seat and one not? A few months after we get a new vehicle, DD will be going to college so unless we take ourselves, DS, baby, and two or three adylts along (which we never do anyway) will we really need the 3rd row seats?? Or could we keep it folded most of the time?

I am envious, I love the MDX!

Kelly

JenCA Guest

It defintely depends on the SUV. DH and I have spent the past three months reasearching luxury SUVs, and we just ordered a 2004 BMW X5 (to replace my 3-series sedan). We made our decison based on a nnumber of factors, but we were mainly attracted by the X5's safety rating. In recent side-impact crash tests at 40mph, the X5 was determined to be not only the safest SUV, but the safest car-PERIOD. It also gets much better gas mileage than most SUVs, and is actually rated an ultra-low emission vehicle. :)

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I think the MDX will work out well for your family. It has excellent safety ratings and has consistently ranked as one of the top SUVc. It's fun to drive and very smooth. When you test drive, see how loud the car handles on the highway. We have a 2002 MDX and it seems like it's very loud on the highway but they may have improved that in the past few years. We've rarely used the third ro-only a handful of times. For us the lack of room would come into play when we have a second child because it seems we are already taking up a lot of space with one carseat, a stroller in the back, etc. We also travel with our dog most of the time + she needs space too!

hcsl is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I also think that a station wagon is too small for two children in car seats (and possibly out of car seats as well). The Subaru Outback and Volvo XC are pretty close in size, (the XC has a bit more cargo room but the back seat is very tight), but if you have 2 carseats installed there's no room for anyone else, and if you're travelling it's tough to fit all the luggage and babycrap in the cargo area. Plus, if you like to keep a stroller in the car, with 2 children you have to put groceries in the way back and hope they don't get smashed by the stroller on the way home.

I am unfortunately also in the SUV-Minivan predicament now.

I too drive an outback wagon. We have a marathon forward facing and a roundabout rear facing (one behind each seat) and they fit great. We can even squeeze a turbo-booster in the middle if needed. I can fit in the middle of the two seats if needed, but it is not very comfy!
    With two kids and long trips, storage is an issue, but we bought a rooftop box and that has made a big difference...
    Valerie
    Mom to DD (7/01), DS (3/03) and "brother" (7/08)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast