Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Minivan VS SUV : Pros and Cons?

Susan ~ have you installed two car seats in the XC90? We have a Land Rover SUV now that is the primary family car and a Volvo sedan. There's no way the Land Rover will be able to accomodate 2 car seats comfortably but love it so much that we're considering getting rid of the sedan and we're having this whole minivan vs SUV debate. I popped into the dealership when I was getting my oil changed and thought the XC90 looked great. And while I haven't driven it, I'm hoping it has the same feel as our sedan. But I'm concerned that I'll be kicking myself if I don't suck it up and get a mivivan. Ah I'm rambling now...

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

HelenD Guest

From the majority of the posts, I think you get this, but, IMHO a mini-van is the way to go.

When DH and I were trying to get pregnant, we decided we needed to replace my Saturn SL1 w/ a bigger car. DH is 6'3" so every station wagon was out as far as head room for him went. (But secretly, I lusted after and really wanted the Subaru Forrestor). I wouldn't even LOOK at a mini-van and we ended up getting me a new Isuzu Rodeo.

I LOVE my Rodeo for just me. When we added DD and her car seat, I *knew* very quickly the Rodeo would have to go. DH has also recently come to the same conclusion. While the Rodeo is nice, there really isn't much room for other passengers, or to stow much of the baby stuff you need to lug around (much less add groceries or whatever to your stroller back there), and well, the gas mileage isn't great.

So, there's an opinion from someone who got a small SUV before she got her DD. Just buy the mini van.

Good Luck.

H

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Here's another vote for the MDX but of course we only have one so I can see us running out of space whenever #2 arrives. But hopefully by that time we will be in the market for another car. We said we would probably get the VOLVO SUV next....but I can see how practical the minivan would be. MAybe Acura, Volvo, etc will come out with a minivan in the next few years???? I know it sounds far fetched but who would have ever thought that Porche or BMW would have come out w/ an SUV??? Or Cadillac w/ a truck!!!

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I think a minivan is the way to go.....

we're going to start doing more research and eventually test drives.

next the question i guess will be do we get one now or do we wait until we have another baby on the way? our suv is paid off, and so we have a fair amount of equity which will go to the new van and we won't have to pay much out of pocket to cover the rest. if we wait 1-2 years, the equity will go down some (though i don't think the mercedes ml-320 depreciates very quickly). so i don't know what we'll do.

but thank you for the responses. we're excited to start investigating minivans now, and i REALLY can't believe i'm saying THAT!!!

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

amp Guest

If money is no object, the SUV is definitely the nicer looking vehicle. I wish I could afford a bigger SUV than what we have (Escape), but we can't, so when we have to upgrade in size, unless there is something newer and more affordable on the market, we will have to consider a Minivan. And the newer ones with the fold into the floor seats are very tempting as far as space and versatility. Then again, I am not looking forward to giving up beloved (if little) escape and moving on to the minivan I swore I would never drive. Seems since I've had a baby, I've had to eat my words sooo many times!

tinkerbell1217 Guest

Thanks for the info!! From what I have heard and read, the noise you speak of is still there even in the latest models. At least thats what the review said that I read yesterday on Edmunds.com. I am so psyched to get it I may just get it next year instead!!

Kelly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4