Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Great gifts for new mom-to-be suggestions needed

One of our most dear friends just told us she is pregnant. They have been trying for years and she is an OB/GYN, so it has been really hard for her in that she is surrounded by others who are pregnant, day in and day out. They also moved out-of-state a year and a half ago and miss home terribly. In general, it has been tough for a while and this is a HUGE and exciting announcement. We want to do something special for a congrats present for them, but it has to be easily shipped.

For some totally unknown reason, I'm at a complete loss and would appreciate any help. I was thinking of sending a gift box with massage lotion (and instructions that her DH better use it!), the Baby Bargains book (of course), and some other things. I don't know if I should get something for the babe (too early to know the sex, and I want to send something right away) or just concentrate on the mom/parents. She hasn't really felt very bad, so I'm not inclined to send too many of the anti-nausea stuff. Any thoughts?

heidi_timms Guest

Default RE: Great gifts for new mom-to-be suggestions needed

I love to give the BB book and if you order from Amazon or BN.com, you usually get free shipping if you spend $25 or more, plus the book is discounted. I would add on another book or maybe a magazine subscription (not sure if that counts)? I also love to give out Martha Stewart Baby subscriptions!

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey
    4/03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My "standard" early pg gift has become:

1. The Baby Bargains Book

2. The Happiest Baby on the Block book
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

brubeck Guest

The Girlfriend's Guide is invaluable but if she is an OB the information contained in there might be redundant.

How about some 'snacks'? We all know how pregnancy makes you want to nosh... :-)

How about a gift card for babystyle.com?

You can always send her a Snoogle and bottle of Tums! :P

The only other option I can think of is to buy her a domain in her name along with a subscription to one of those easy-use websites so her out of town family can follow her progress and eventual delivery.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

COElizabeth Guest

I just gave my SIL the pregnancy journal, Expecting You. I had it with James and liked it. I think the Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy is a good suggestion, too. It's true that your friend won't need some of the medical info, but I think the book's strength is not in that, anyway (though I did get some very useful info from it early in my pg). It's one of the very few pregnancy-related books that made me laugh out loud, and that is worth a lot! Vicki Iovine can be really funny.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    EDD #2, 10-30-04

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD. This is a lifesaver, if for no other reason than the white noise tracks. We used these and they are the only thing that saved my sanity in those early weeks!!! It will be quite useful come 2am when the new parents have no one close by to help out!

Melissa
    Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions...lies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions...milies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...9.birthday.png

I'd like to give the Baby Bargains book, the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5 by The American Academy of Pediatrics, a baby names book, and a Sandra Boynton book or a rattle for the baby. You could also consider giving a local favorite food item, such as Frango mints if she moved from Chicago. Actually, any kind of chocolate would be good, since there was a recent study that claimed that pregnant moms who ate chocolate had happier babies! Or, how about a onesie/T-shirt for the babe from their favorite sports team back home?

The second I found out my SIL was pregnant I had to go out shopping! I bought her a copy of Baby Bargains (of course), Good Night Moon, and a little outfit from Baby Gap. I labored so long in Baby Gap and Gymbo trying to decide what to get. I got a gener neutral (green, lol) body suit, pants, hat, and socks in the 0-3 month size.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Jen in Chicago Guest

I have received or given-
    Snack size packages of food (my co-workers knew where to go to afternoon snacks b/c I always needed something around)
    Gift certificates for places they craved
    Bath stuff with pink and blue candles to burn
    Healthy Pregnancy Cookbook
    BB Book
    Journal
    Blank Journal to keep track of Baby Gifts in (I keep track of all gifts Jude receives in this still, and will until the pages run out)
    Birthday Log Book- My internet explorer is giving me a hard time, but they make a book you fill in each year at the child's birthday- only 1 page of information (I first learned of it b/c we received the Anniversary Journal at a bridal shower)
    Children's books (we are a Curious George household, so we give CG's books the first opportunity we can)
    Classical Music Baby CD's
    Shea Butter lotion from Bath and Body Works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast