Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Default Do you have those fire escape ladders?

We were at a fair the other night and there was this fire prevention "house" set up. I was talking to the volunteer fireman there and he said that every room on the second floor should have one of those portable ladders. I told him that in our bedroom, the back windows lead out to the roof of a back three season porch and that we could go out there. The other two bedrooms, however, have small eaves and are pretty steep.

Jonathan said that even if we got the ladders and God FORBID, there was a fire, Sophie is way too little to be able to use one. My thinking is that if either one of us had to go to her room to get her and then got trapped, we'd be able to get out the window.

Fire is *hands down* my biggest fear. In fact, when we moved into this house, I specifically had an alarm system that monitors the hardwired fire/smoke detectors. As much as I love this house (it's 70yrs old and wood frame), I miss the sprinklers in my old condo.

This reminds me that I need to install the brackets in the bedroom closets for the little fire extinguishers that are sitting in the basement. Not much use for them there, if we're on the second floor...

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

We were at a fair the other night and there was this fire prevention "house" set up. I was talking to the volunteer fireman there and he said that every room on the second floor should have one of those portable ladders. I told him that in our bedroom, the back windows lead out to the roof of a back three season porch and that we could go out there. The other two bedrooms, however, have small eaves and are pretty steep.

Jonathan said that even if we got the ladders and God FORBID, there was a fire, Sophie is way too little to be able to use one. My thinking is that if either one of us had to go to her room to get her and then got trapped, we'd be able to get out the window.

Fire is *hands down* my biggest fear. In fact, when we moved into this house, I specifically had an alarm system that monitors the hardwired fire/smoke detectors. As much as I love this house (it's 70yrs old and wood frame), I miss the sprinklers in my old condo.

This reminds me that I need to install the brackets in the bedroom closets for the little fire extinguishers that are sitting in the basement. Not much use for them there, if we're on the second floor...

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast