Page 137 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137
Results 1,361 to 1,365 of 1365
    bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: How did you choose your child's name?

for our 1st ds dh liked max(from the mad max movie) and so i said ok as long as it was maxwell-heck it beat homer :)

with second ds i liked the name tyler and dh said it was fine as i believe that the head ape or something like that was named tyler on planet of the apes. he is a little stuck on movie names i guess :P

Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

We chose Abigail for "Father is rejoicing" as DH very much wanted a little girl, and Alice after my great-grandmother who my mom loved dearly, so it was sort of out of respect for both of them.
    Plus DD has the same initials as me, which I like. Abigail was the front-runner throughout my pregnancy, we didn't decide on Alice until Abigail was a day old.

If Abigail had been a boy, she would have been Sean David, after my dh. That will still probably be THE name, if we ever have a boy.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

Before we married, DH read an archeology book about native tribes of South America, one of which is the Aymara. He loved it as a girl's name and thought anyone with it would be smart and research her name. I blew hot and cold on the name, which over time got softened to Amara, but it was practically the only one he would consider besides Vanessa and Yvette, neither of which I like. He also likes the name Taina (?), which is a tributary to the Nile River, for the same reason about having a smart daughter.

For Annelise, I wanted a first or middle name that reflected the fact that she was born in Belgium. Annelies is a common name there, and I met a Belgian girl named that who impressed me, then DH and I went on a trip to Germany and saw a gift store named Annelies something. That's when DH liked it. I sometimes wonder what the owner of that gift store and the Belgian Annelies (who I met only once) would think if they knew they inspired our daughter's name.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I meant that the Noelani I knew had problems as a person... irresponsible, snobby, big time moocher. I don't think she had any problems with her name which, as I said, I think is lovely. I just didn't like her.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got "Pick a Pretty Indian Name for your Baby" or something like that from Amazon, that arranged names by first letter, with one seciton for girls and another for boys.

We would pick a letter and go through the book, going over names, how they were pronounced, who we knew with those names, alternate spellings, how they would probably be pronounced in the US, and of course, trying to make up nicknames that may be disparaging in order to avoid ridicule for our child when he/she got to school.

In general, DH and I didn't agree on names. We decided on a girl's name a few weeks before delivery. However, we had trouble agreeing on a boy's name. Well, he had a boy. In the end, DH chose the name in the hospital, so we could be discharged. I still don't like the spelling that was chosen, which is not phonetic enough for me, for living in the US... And I don't like the middle name either.

Nupe

Page 137 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137