Page 3 of 137 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Default How did you choose your child's name?

Kayla was a girl in my preschool...yes, MY preschool...like when I was 3. I actually did not like her very much as she was a bit of a bully, but I always loved her name.

I mentioned it to DH a long time ago, and he always loved it too. For Valentine's Day, when I was pregnant, he had a charm created for her on my family charm bracelet (that was my grandmother's), and had "Kayla" engraved. So, I basically had no other choice after that...it was engraved in gold!

How did you choose?

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: How did you choose your child's name?

First off, Kayla was on our short list of names. :)

We knew we wanted her middle name to be Challis in honor of my MIL who died the day she found out we were pg. So the first name had to go with Challis.

We actually had a baby book and I pored through it and wrote down names that I liked and the meaning/origin of the names. Then I would show the list to DH and he would eliminate the ones he did not like. I did this until we had a list of around 10 names that we both liked. We brought the list and the book to the hospital with us. After Kaya was born, we looked at her for the next 24 hours and I kept asking her, "Are you Maya Challis? Are you Kaya Challis? Are you Kayla Challis?" etc. We kept going back to the meanings of the names and finally decided on Kaya because it had an Asian meaning (Japanese it means resting place--although I'm Taiwanese, my dad has a fondness for everything Japanese as he was in Taiwan during the Japanese occupation and after when China took over) and a Native American meaning (Hopi: Wise Child) and although DH's parents are not Native American, they live in northern NM and buy, collect, and sell Native American jewelry and art. His mom, in particular, had many friends who were also artists on the various reservations. So it was a perfect melding of cultures and our two families and it just seemed to fit her.

Note, as a joke, I did suggest Crystal Challis as her name. :P

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

We knew we wanted her middle name to be Challis in honor of my MIL who died the day she found out we were pg. So the first name had to go with Challis.

We actually had a baby book and I pored through it and wrote down names that I liked and the meaning/origin of the names. Then I would show the list to DH and he would eliminate the ones he did not like. I did this until we had a list of around 10 names that we both liked. We brought the list and the book to the hospital with us. After Kaya was born, we looked at her for the next 24 hours and I kept asking her, "Are you Maya Challis? Are you Kaya Challis? Are you Kayla Challis?" etc. We kept going back to the meanings of the names and finally decided on Kaya because it had an Asian meaning (Japanese it means resting place--although I'm Taiwanese, my dad has a fondness for everything Japanese as he was in Taiwan during the Japanese occupation and after when China took over) and a Native American meaning (Hopi: Wise Child) and although DH's parents are not Native American, they live in northern NM and buy, collect, and sell Native American jewelry and art. His mom, in particular, had many friends who were also artists on the various reservations. So it was a perfect melding of cultures and our two families and it just seemed to fit her.

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen

Page 3 of 137 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast