Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    amp Guest

Default Very curious about IUD's that are so popular now

Obviously I don't need birth control at the moment, but this weighs heavily on my mind, as we are fairly sure we only want 2 children, yet I can't be 100% sure, or sure enough to have my tubes tied. We considered having this done, as I'm likely to have a CS w/ baby #2, but I just can't be sure, yet, whether I will ever want another baby. I would say I'm about 90% sure. I'm old and I can barely handle the kid I have, let alone the one on the way. But I just wan't justify a permanent procedure. We've discussed DH having a vasectomy, which he's conisdering, but is less than thrilled about.

So I'm VERY curious about the IUD. Years ago those caused a gazillion problems with women, so to be honest, when they came back on the market, I didn't take them seriously *at all*! But so many of you have gone that route and are very happy, so I'm dying to know what made you choose the IUD, how sure you were/are about saftey long term, etc. Just curious, as this may well be an option for us after this baby is born.

thanks for any insight.

amp Guest

Obviously I don't need birth control at the moment, but this weighs heavily on my mind, as we are fairly sure we only want 2 children, yet I can't be 100% sure, or sure enough to have my tubes tied. We considered having this done, as I'm likely to have a CS w/ baby #2, but I just can't be sure, yet, whether I will ever want another baby. I would say I'm about 90% sure. I'm old and I can barely handle the kid I have, let alone the one on the way. But I just wan't justify a permanent procedure. We've discussed DH having a vasectomy, which he's conisdering, but is less than thrilled about.

So I'm VERY curious about the IUD. Years ago those caused a gazillion problems with women, so to be honest, when they came back on the market, I didn't take them seriously *at all*! But so many of you have gone that route and are very happy, so I'm dying to know what made you choose the IUD, how sure you were/are about saftey long term, etc. Just curious, as this may well be an option for us after this baby is born.

thanks for any insight.

amp Guest

thanks for any insight.

kath68 Guest

Default RE: Very curious about IUD's that are so popular now

At the time I made my decision to get the Merina, I did a lot of research on the options. There aren't any perfect options, so you have to figure out what compromises you are willing to make. The TCOYF option is a little scary for some -- I don't think I could have convinced DH that it was low-risk enough. Condoms have obvious issues. Pills have obvious issues (I had been on the pill for a long time, and for several health reasons did not want to again), many apply to the patch, depo provera, etc. as well (the synthetic hormones being the big deal to me). I am not the kind of gal who could do a diaphram. So what is left? IUD.

I did as much research as I could on them, and satisfied myself that the new IUDs are relatively safe. I am not crazy about the fact that there are synthetic hormones involved, but as they are localized and in small doses I decided I could live with that compromise. If I don't like it, I can always have it removed. I was also swayed by the fact that it could do double duty in helping me cope with menstual symptoms.

kath68 Guest

At the time I made my decision to get the Merina, I did a lot of research on the options. There aren't any perfect options, so you have to figure out what compromises you are willing to make. The TCOYF option is a little scary for some -- I don't think I could have convinced DH that it was low-risk enough. Condoms have obvious issues. Pills have obvious issues (I had been on the pill for a long time, and for several health reasons did not want to again), many apply to the patch, depo provera, etc. as well (the synthetic hormones being the big deal to me). I am not the kind of gal who could do a diaphram. So what is left? IUD.

I did as much research as I could on them, and satisfied myself that the new IUDs are relatively safe. I am not crazy about the fact that there are synthetic hormones involved, but as they are localized and in small doses I decided I could live with that compromise. If I don't like it, I can always have it removed. I was also swayed by the fact that it could do double duty in helping me cope with menstual symptoms.

kath68 Guest

kath68 Guest

kath68 Guest

kath68 Guest

kath68 Guest

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast