alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Obstetric Cholestasis

My SIL has just been diagnosed with Cholestasis, which is a problem with the mother's liver function and has a high risk of problems and (occasionally stillbirth) for the baby. She's been so itchy lately and had some tests last week which conclusively determined it wasn't the "usual" itching. It seems that the doc's just trying to get her to 37 weeks (she's due July 7) and then they'll do an emergency C-section. Evidently she's worried about side effects with the medicine they've given her. Anyone care to share their experiences with this? I'm clueless on how to help her and we're all scared to death. All I can think to do is make casseroles.

Of course, prayers for Gina would be always welcome!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Obstetric Cholestasis

My SIL has just been diagnosed with Cholestasis, which is a problem with the mother's liver function and has a high risk of problems and (occasionally stillbirth) for the baby. She's been so itchy lately and had some tests last week which conclusively determined it wasn't the "usual" itching. It seems that the doc's just trying to get her to 37 weeks (she's due July 7) and then they'll do an emergency C-section. Evidently she's worried about side effects with the medicine they've given her. Anyone care to share their experiences with this? I'm clueless on how to help her and we're all scared to death. All I can think to do is make casseroles.

Of course, prayers for Gina would be always welcome!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

Default RE: Obstetric Cholestasis

I don't have any information, but will be thinking of your SIL and hope that everything is okay.

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04

pritchettzoo Guest

Oh no! She was telling me about the itching at Matthew's party and I hoped it was just PUPPPS. That's awful! I have no idea but we'll certainly keep her and the baby in our thoughts.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mandye Guest

Allison--

I also have cholestasis and it is no fun. I'm pg with #2 right now (due July 15) and I just started the itching (4 weeks earlier than I did with #1). The really hard thing about cholestasis is that most doctors have never even heard of it. Anyway, there is a med called cholestrymine (or something like that) that she absolutely should not take--it basically removes vitamins from the body and can cause hemorrhaging. From my experience, antihistamines like benadryl also offer no help except that they can help her sleep at night. There is a website called www.itchymoms.com that has a lot of helpful info on it, but I would advise her to stay away from the stories--some can be real downers.

For what it's worth, I don't know if the cholestasis is the only reason she is having a c-section, but I was able to deliver #1 vaginally after being induced. As long as the baby is being monitored it isn't that big of a rush to deliver.

I posted in the lounge a couple of weeks ago under the subject "I love my doctor, but..." and someone (I can't think right now) posted 2 helpful links about cholestasis. I'm sorry I don't know what they are right off. If you do a search you can find them.

HTH, if you need more info or anything else feel free to email me.

Mandy