Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    vikivoly Guest

Default Are you a lurker?

All of the lurker comments and posts got me wondering just how many lurkers there are on this board. Since you're not likely to respond to a post if you're a lurker, I'm hoping you'll at least respond to a poll. :)

Answer the question with regards to how you view yourself, not how you think the board views you. Also, it doesn't matter if you have kids of your own or not, respond solely on the way you use this board.

Thanks

himom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Are you a lurker?

I have no idea what category I'd fall into, but I've moved up and down the spectrum.

I started reading in mid-2002, mostly in the baby gear forums, just checking out questions that the other pregnant mamas were asking. They asked great questions, usually the same kind of stuff I was wondering about, so I just read and got lots of info. After a while I began to feel like I "knew" so many people, but I hadn't even signed in yet. I signed up shortly before DS came along (Jan 2003), and mostly posted questions since I really wasn't in a place to give any advice.

So, I've been active for 2 1/2 years but I only have 600 posts. However, I read here every day, generally checking in 2 or 3 times a day. I don't have a lot of time to read and post to everything, so it's fair to say I read much, much more than I can respond to. I do write when I have something to say that hasn't already been said or if I really want to emphasize (or sympathize with) something. I usually only read the first page showing in the lounge as DS demands my attention pretty quickly when he sees me on the computer. I also start the occasional thread.

What category that puts me in, I do not know. Semi-regular?

VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I post a little, but not nearly in keeping with the amount that I read. So I put that I don't think I'm a lurker, but I wouldn't consider myself a regular, either. I don't think anyone would notice if I went on vacation, for example, and I don't think anyone would notice if I had a new signature line.

When I post, I try to think of word economy. Am I REALLY adding anything to the conversation here? Sometimes I throw that out the window if I'm really interested in a topic and I'm just saying, "me, too!" And I try to search before asking questions, too.

Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

amp Guest

Ummmm...no.

6000+ posts tell me I'm not at all a lurker and am here waaaaaay more than I ever dreamed I'd be! DH can't figure out how a person can post that much!

ETA: Egads, I'm quickly approaching 6500!

ETAA: To me, a lurker is someone who's been a member for a long time, but I don't recognize them at all. As I said, I'm here a LOT! And FWIW, both the previous posters here I recognize easily. Not lurkers IMO. And neither are half the people I've "recognized" wondering if they are.

hobey Guest

I feel (and voted) the same way. Since I'm a WOHM, I usually only have time during lunch to check in and only post when I feel I have something to contribute that has not been said previously.

I also try to search before asking questions since it's a minor pet peeve of mine to see the same question over and over though it has been addressed before.

Raquel
    Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

BethS is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I read a lot but only post occasionally. I tend to go in spurts with my posting but now that I have two under two I'm reading a lot less than before, too. Generally I post if I have a question or see something that I've experienced and feel I can be of help.

I'd love to post regularly and contribute more to the community but I get "sucked in" so easily that I'd likely never get anything done.

FWIW, I totally understand how some regulars feel about the number of lurkers.

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

With all this lurker talk, I am sure there are many out there wondering if they are a lurker now even though they feel like they post and are part of the community. And unfortunately, the word lurker does not give people the warm fuzzies. Maybe there are true lurkers, but there are also members who are shy about online chat (just like they may be shy IRL)

IMHO, if one feels like they post and offer info on a regular basis then they should not feel like they are lurkers - even if they only have a hundred posts a year.

Definitely a lurker! If I do post, it's usually a coupon link/code in RL or in Bargains.

Bonny
    Mom to E&E 5/7/02

LaurelC is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I am totally a lurker! As you can see by my join date and post count, I really haven't posted much at all.

I do lurk quite a bit - I read the posts on this site several times per week.
    Laurel, Mom to Madeline 5/21/04 and Joseph 4/10/07

brubeck Guest

It depends on the forum. I post mostly now in Bargain Alert and Reality Layette, but I 'lurk' on Bitching Post and the Lounge.

I'm medium level (part lurk, part post) in the Toddler Boards.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast