kthomp Guest

Default Recomendations for Summer Reading?

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed!

I'm looking for some good books to read this summer. We were at the beach this weekend and I really missed having a book to curl up with. Any recommendations of good books you've read or heard about?

I tend to like most fiction and romance type books.

TIA!

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Recomendations for Summer Reading?

I just finished "The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters" by Elisabeth Robinson. I really enjoyed the book and thought it was well-written (don't let the chick lit cover fool you).

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Here are some summery books I read recently - not my usual style but since having DD I can only read light and fluffy books ;) Nothing which will, perish forbid the thought, actually make me think!!!

Rosie Dunne
    Bookends and anything else by Jane Green.
    Can you keep a secret - Sophie Kinsella.
    Matzo ball heiress
    Babyville
    Mine are spectacular

Some of my bookclub books - more serious stuff

The Birth of venus
    Ellen Foster
    Anything by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (a really good Indian author) *except* Vine of Desire
    The Interpreter of maladies Jhumpa Lahiri
    Curious incident of the dog in the night
    Secret life of bees
    The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

DH and I have recently become *huge* Terry Pratchett fans but the only other person we know who reads him a guy from London. TPratchett is very popular there. maybe someone else on the boards is a closet TP fan :)
    If you do decide to read him try The truth or Going Postal first. It's really hard to describe the books - they're kind of science fiction/fantasy in that it's set in a different world/time/era but the isues are very contemporary.
    Anyway, I'm sure you'll get a ton more suggestions here,
    Happy reading,

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Book Club books:

Birth of Venus
    The Other Boleyn Girl
    Time Travellers Wife
    Red Tent
    Kite Runner
    Curious Incident of the Dog...
    DaVinci code
    Secret Life of Bees
    Life of Pi
    East of Eden
    Before You Know Kindness
    Middlesex

Recent for fun books:

Note from the Underbelly (Risa Green)--totally funny chick lit
    The Book Club (can't remember the author, its what I'm reading now.)

Of course, everything will be cleaned and put away by July 16 for Harry Potter
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

Don't know if these even fit the description of summery (I'm pretty sure the second one does not), but I am now about to read The Buddha of Suburbia (British author I think, no clue if it's good, but little sister was reading last summer and I was intrigued) and "The Plot against America" (Philip Roth, whom I love) and finally the new one by Ismail Kadare (not out yet).

e.

For fun, mainstream reading I love Mary Higgins Clark. Any of her novels are great. If you like romance, you would probably enjoy books by Sandra Brown. Her books are not true romances, but there are always relationships (and sex) woven in the stories. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency is fun and good.

For serious ones:

Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
    Bee Season by Myla Goldberg
    True Notebooks by Mark Salzman

Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

tina-t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Bridget Jones' Diary and The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding are funny. Even better than the movies. The Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella are a riot.

Others that I have read and liked:

Bel Canto
    Midwives by Bohjalian
    Devil and the White City
    Snow Falling on Cedars
    Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons
    The Secret History
    Christina

Mom to 2 little ones

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm bringing back this thread because I was just about to ask the same question! I just finished the Kite Runner (AMAZING!) and read The Secret Life of Bees last month. We're going to the beach next week though, so I need some light, fluffy reads too. Any more suggestions (besides Harry Potter)?

:-) Erin

Mom to Chase
    Feb. 2004

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't read much Terry Pratchett, but DH and I did recently read Good Omens, which is quite funny. :) But I got it in the first place not because of Terry Pratchett but because of Neil Gaiman.

I just finished reading Curious Incident and that was a great book! I've already had a couple other people read it and they loved it as well. :)

Oh, and I just started a trilogy by Carol Berg called Transformation and it was so good I finished it in a couple days. It's definitely fantasy, but it could also be considered historical fiction if you changed some of the characters' names and overlaid some magic. It's really well written and quite impressive considering it was the author's first attempt at writing. Now I have to wait for DH to finish the second book! ;)

If you like fantasy, I also LOVE anything by Robin Hobb, Orson Scott Card, and Anne McCaffrey. Of these, Anne McCaffrey is probably the easiest read, but they're all fantastic authors.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Erin,

Have you ever read anything by Diane Johnson (Persian Nights, Le Divorce)? Her books are fluffy and fun!

I suggested (above in this thread) "The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters"--this book is wonderful and very moving, but also quite funny! I highly recommend it!

Last summer I read this novel called "A Secret Word" by Jennifer Paddock--look it up on Amazon--I really enjoyed it.

And if you've never read anything by Nick Hornby (About a Boy, High Fidelity), get your hands on those! His books are great--he has a new one, but I have yet to read it.

And I love Jennifer Egan--her book, "The Invisible Circus" is a masterpiece IMHO, and I also liked her book "Look at Me."

HTH!