Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: brittone2 (or others) ? about skipping crawling

Karen-

This sounds exactly like what my DD did- she'd get in the crawl position, take 2 "steps" and then sit up- only she would move backwards. :) I thought she would never crawl, and in fact I had a PT come to evaluate her at 9 months. When she was a week shy of 10 months she suddenly "got it," and started crawling on hands and knees. Within 24 hours she was crawling at lightning speed and our house hasn't been the same since!

Val
    Mom to Madeline
    7/28/04

Default jessica!

I didn't know you were a PT!! My sister (the one who lives with us) is doing her doctorate now (apparently they require a doctorate now to be a PT).

She is presently spending a summer in the lab with cadavres and such. And developing a sense of humor that's too dark even for my own tastes ;)

e.

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm glad you asked about this. Cadie does the same thing. She's a bit younger, though. People keep asking, "Is she crawling yet?" They seem to make a face when I tell them she's not. But I always add, "She gets around, though!" :)

amazz Guest

Default How do you encourage crawling?

I find it pretty difficult to get DD to do anything she doesn't want to do. (don't have a clue where she gets that stubborn streak. ;) ) She will spend some time on her stomach now (which prior to this month she out refused to do) and will hold herself up and kind of scoot backwards on her tummy. Otherwise she just scoots on her butt. Right now I just looked up and in the last 2-3 min she has made it about a foot from where she was. She tries to pull up a little but not much yet.

So if I need to encourage her to crawl?

BTW, she just turned 9 mos yesterday.

TIA,
    Angela
    mama to my raisin and furry mama to Chloe
    ~ A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: jessica!

Eri-I did the cadavre thing too-fascinating stuff. The DPT (doctorate) is not yet required but most programs are going to it or transitioning that way.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Default RE: jessica!

really? I thought there was an Act of Congress actually requiring it...I only know this because sister was half-way her application process when the change happened (i think?).

I have no clue about this, but how is the job market for PTs?? We want her to move with us when we do (of course!), but it will depend on her getting a job wherever we end up (which, suffice to say, will be a large metropolitan area).

E.

kfk Guest

Well, at 9 mos. our boys' variation is that they scoot, both forward and back, in addition to multiple rollings to make pretty rapid progress around the room. They do get up on all fours and rock back and forth, but then it's back to a combination of the scooting and rolling. Z will also get against the wall, prop his legs up and use his legs to maneuver his way down the hallway.

On the other hand, neither will sit up unsupported for any length of time. My theory is they would much rather move.

JLiebCamm Guest

Default Eri!

Right now it is a wide open market for PTs. There are tons of jobs to be had with sign-on bonuses to boot. The field fluctuates; when I graduated 9 years ago, I had tons of offers. But 4-5 years ago, things really dried up (thanks to some changes in Medicare that really hurt PT reimbursement). If your sister graduates in the next few years I think she'll have an easy time with findning a job.

The DPT (which is a professional doctorate, like a chiropractor, as opposed to the PhD, which you can also get as a PT, but with much more work) is a degree that the American Physical Therapy Association is pushing to bring more respect to the profession. Depending on the school, it takes anywhere from no more time to one year longer to complete than the degree I have (MPT). It's a bit controversial in the fact that the PT schools encourage these grads to go by the title 'doctor' in the workplace. So far the grads that I know from these programs just go by their first names. The insurance companies/employers at this point don't care if a PT has a Bachelor's (pretty rare these days), Master's, or DPT; maybe a day will come where they do. But eventually all graduating PTs will have the DPT degree. I do hope that in the big picture it will bring more respect to the profession.

Where is your sister going to school?

Default RE: Eri!

I'll PM you where she's going...

Her program seems fairly rigorous, though, and it's a 2.5-3 yr program; this including summer classes as well as required internships, etc. The school places them in different clinics.

She loves it so much. I just want free massages, but she reminds me she does not do that, and wants me to learn exercises instead. Whaa! I'll show her when she wants legal advice: "technically, I don't do real estate. But if you need antitrust advice, I'm your woman" LOL

:)

e.

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Meghan doesn't crawl. She does this ape scoot. She propels herself with her right foot and uses her arms to hop herself forward. It's so cute. She's also cruising and I think very close to walking. She'll reach from furniture to furniture, will stand a few seconds on her own and loves to walk holding fingers or even one handed. She's 10 months.

So yes, I think skipping crawling is very possible but I don't see (nor have I done any research) that it would mean problems in school but that's JMHO.

Allison
    ~ mama to Declan and Meghan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast