Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    babymama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need advice: move DS out of his room to make way for baby?

I am having a really hard time deciding on this. Need input. Here's the deal...we have 3 small bedrooms upstairs (currently: office, DS's room, and our room) and 1 small bedroom downstairs (guest room).

I need to prepare for the new baby, but can't decide whether we should plan on DS staying in his room or moving into what is now our office. We would really prefer not to move the office bc DH has issues with guests having access to our files and computer and whatnot (plus we'd have to have the cable company come move the HS internet lines, etc.) So, thusfar, that option hasn't been too attractive.

DS's room is too small to put a crib and a bed, so sharing a room isn;t an option - or at least not without getting rid of the glider or the toy storage or the dresser.

We've been thinking we'd just have the new baby in our room with us for the first few months and then figure it out, but that's not really like me...I like to have some idea of what the plan will be.
    So I need your advice.

What did you do? What should I do?

Thanks,
    Lydia
    Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
    One on the way, due 01/03/06

searchdog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Need advice: move DS out of his room to make way for baby?

Ok I realize it is not ideal, but could you move the office downstairs and then put a lock on the door so that your DH would feel like your files and things are secure.

I am not sure if you meant that you couldn't do this because it would still function as a guest room and therefor that is why the files wouldn't be secured, so ignore me it that is the case.

We have a 3 bedroom home (all rooms upstairs). When my 2nd DD was born we had DD #1 move into what was our office/guest room. We made a bog deal about it being her new big girl room...picked paint...new bedding...all sorts of things. She was so excited. We also gave her the big girl bed then too. She will go into her baby sisters room and say that she used to sleep in there when she was a baby. We haven't had any issues with the move. She loves her big girl room!
    Melissa

Mom to Emma (4/03), Kate (7/05), Sam and Claire (6/09)

papal Guest

Is your room big? Maybe put the crib in your room for the first few months.. then Santiago can keep his room with a big boy bed. After a few months, either move the office downstairs OR let the kids share the room and the other room could be the playroom. Or let the kids share the room, keep the office upstairs and the downstairs room could be the playroom.
    (Assuming there is no seperate playroom already). I just think it would be easier for you if both kids were upstairs, near you.

I really think in the end you'll be happiest if the office is downstairs and made into an office/guest room. You can get lockable filing cabinets for you to keep all docs safe. Put the keys in a safe location that only you and he know where they are. Do you have Microsoft XP on your computer? If so you can make it so that if a guest wants to use the computer they have to log on as a guest. We did this and then DH & I had our own access with passwords attached. Or just have it so you have to have a password to get into certain programs/files.

If you do this I think Santiago should stay in his room and the office turned into #2's room. This allows him not to have to endure too much change when a new sibling comes along.

Growing up my parents had a file cabinet in their room with the most important paperwork. The computer was in our bonus room/play room, but the actual paperwork was in their room. That might also work for you guys too.

HTH!
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had almost the same situation earlier this year. We have 3 bedrooms upstairs - one for us, one for DD#1 and the other was the office.

We ended up moving the office downstairs into our covered porch area (which previously just had a treadmill in it) and turning the "office" into the new baby's room. Two months before the baby arrived, we got a twin bed for DD so that we could use the crib for the baby.

We had our electrician friend come and put in a cable connection and another outlet in the porch.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

ribbit1019 Guest

I say move the office too. It will be a pain yes, but eventually I think that is where you will wind up anyway. I just don't see any other options unless you and your DH move downstairs, and that would be a pain for you changing and feeding etc. And you wouldn't want Santiago or the baby downstairs by themselves right?
    So I say move the office now and be done with it.

Information can be safeguarded from guests. Unless you have a guest that is a hacker or from the CIA, locks and passwords would probably secure anything that is really important.

We are eliminating our guest bedroom to make room for baby #2 and moving DD into a big girl room.

Christy
    Maddy born 06/09/04
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
    Little Peanut due 03/02/06
    http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We only have 3 bedrooms right now, so we just got rid of the guest room. They are all on the same floor, though. We moved Nate across the hall into the smaller room (no room for a crib and a glider) and reworked the nursery. It wasn't a problem to move Nate -- the transition went a lot smoother than I thought it was going to.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

I would definitely get rid of the guest room or make it a guest room/office. You could get new filing cabinets that lock for security.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdo...y+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 06-29-2011 at 11:57 PM.

cbm Guest

Would it be possible to move whatever comprises your office into your bedroom? If you could do that, you wouldn't have to worry about guests using your computer or going through your stuff. Putting another plug in whichever room shouldn't be too much of a problem in the big scheme of things.

Claudia

DS 12/18/04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast