Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default dog proof trash cans?

I am in search of dog proof trash cans. I am tired of the dogs dragging trash all over the kitchen. If we know we have food trash in it, we take it out. But the dogs seem to enjoy the treasure hunt even if it is just papers in there.

Are there any trash cans that dogs can't get into but are still easy for humans to use? Logan can use the trash can herself and I don't want to discourage that.

My dogs are Border Collies, so not really large, but not small either.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

Default RE: dog proof trash cans?

We bought a stainless steel one at BJs and that has been great. You need to step on the little step to open it or lift it as Matthew does with his hands (sometimes he steps on it too). The dogs have no way to get in there. For reference, I have a mutt and my other is a Finnish Spitz and she is the size of a border collie (and has similar behavioral characteristics as well!). Neither has been able to get in there yet.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

jasabo Guest

I think we probably have the same one that Melissa posted about. We got ours at Costco. It's stainless steel and you step on a pedal to open it. The lid is fairly heavy and solidly attached to the can, so it would be tough for a dog to get into. My dogs were experts at every can we've ever had - dh jokingly used to call them Trash Inspector and Assistant Trash Inspector - and they were never able to get into this can.

I've seen similar cans at Linens and Things, Bed, Bath and Beyond and also Crate and Barrel - but they're all more expensive then Costco. I haven't seen them again at our Costco since I bought this one though, which was about a year ago.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

searchdog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think we have the same can as PP. Our dogs (two German Shepherds) don't bother the trash, but this has stopped the problem of our cat going through the trash.

Just FYI, on ours if they learned to knock it totally over then they could get the stuff again, but none of the animals have attempted this and we have had all animals (five of them) and the trash can for over two years.

Thanks everyone, but guess what? We have that stainless steel trash can from Costco, the one you step on the pedal to open it! They just nose it open and start pulling stuff out!

And now they have learned to jump the gate and sleep on the couch. sigh. The cats used to keep them in line, but it seems the territories have shifted and the cats now hang out in the playroom and the dogs get the family room.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

toomanystrollers Guest

Our trash can (big old rubbermaid kitchen size) is behind our cellar door - perched on the first step and kept in place with a bungee around the top and anchored to the railing.

We have a couple of trashhounds too.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was going to put another word in for above mentioned can, but since mentioned your dogs are Border Collies, I am not surprised they figured out how to get into it. My suggestion is to find a can with a lid that latches or one that will fit in a cupboard and put a child-proof latch on it. Of course, they will figure out those eventually also! :D
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We couldn't find a can that our poochie couldn't get into so it's now in one of our lower kitchen cabinets.

Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    We made it to a year!

hjdong Guest

Us too. We keep it in the office (attached to the kitchen) on top of the filing cabinets). One of the major bonuses of the new house - built in trash cans. I can't wait to see the dogs get in to the trash (insert manical laughter here).

I don't know if it's an option, but could you get a trash can that will fit in the cabinet under your sink? Of course, you would have to empty it more often since it would be smaller. This may not work if you have a disposal, but I thought I would throw it out there!

ETA: I googled "dog proof trash can" and came up with this:

http://www.doggy-safe.com/pages/1/index.htm
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast