Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Do your kids wear helmets

It never occurred to me. Would you put in on over the hat? C hasn't gone sledding yet, but there's a great new sledding hill about 6 blocks away we've been anxious to try out.

Nope.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I cant get my older ones to wear them when the bike or skateboard let alone the snow.

Nathan looks like the little boy on Christmas Story when we go out and he only goes down the driveway to the cul-de-sac ( which always gets plowed last)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Nope, but its pretty low speed sledding, and DH or I sit on the sled with him.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Our local paper just had an article on this, that it is now advised (by some group) that kids wear bike helmets for sledding. FWIW, our local elected prosecutor lost his daughter to a head injury while sledding a few years ago. She was just on her neighborhood street.

Kimberly

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I asked because I took Nate sledding (at Warren Park for you Chicagoans) on Saturday morning and there was a single kid on the slopes wearing a helmet. He also had one of those old-fashioned sleds with the metal runners and I found myself annoyed with the parent for bringing one of those things on the hill, precisely *because* no one else was wearing a helmet and those metal runners are *dangerous*. Everyone else, including us, had wimpy plastic sleds. It never would have even occurred to me to put a helmet on Nate for sledding until I saw this kid. I was just curious what other people do and whether there was some kind of memo on sledding and head safety that I missed.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd be more likely to put a helmet on him if he was sledding near streets. Seattle probably affords a lot more opportunities for neighborhood sledding than flat-as-a-pancake Chicago does (Nate refers to kerbs as hills). We went to a hill in a park that was designed for sledding (corrals at the top of the hill, riser-type stairs on the side of the hill for climbing back up, and a snow bank C-curve around the base of the hill to make sure you don't sled too far).
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

toomanystrollers Guest

My kids wear helmets. I'm not worried about car traffic. It's the near head-on collisions with other sledders that worries me. DD took a really bad spill on her sled last winter (as she went airborne after hitting a bump). Fortunately she was wearing a helmet.

We don't have that problem here in Florida, but it reminded me of my childhood in NY...

Suicide Hill...appropriately named because it led right to the main 4 lane street!

I can NOT believe I was allowed to sled there...but it's where the whole neighborhood went...we all did it. I never would have thought of a helmet, and at first I sorta rolled my eyes...until I pictured Kayla on Suicide Hill!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2