Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Any Peace Corps veterans? Need gift ideas.

My cousin is a Peace Corps volunteer in the South Pacific and I'd like to send her a box of goodies. She's asked for new music and dried fruits. Any other suggestions of what to get her? I don't want to load her down with things she won't use. On the off chance that someone here was once in the Peace Corps, what kinds of things from home did you really miss? Tops on my list would be chocolate, but I don't think that will survive the shipping process very well.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

punk mama Guest

Default RE: Any Peace Corps veterans? Need gift ideas.

I have a friend that's a current Peace Corps volunteer in the Middle East...For the holidays, I sent her a couple mix CDs and a bag of goldfish crackers...her biggest request has been for preservative packed food, a la Top Ramen and Doritos. In the past, I've sent her scented lotion and her favorite lip balm, in addition to the aformentioned food. She's reading like crazy so in the future I'll be sending her books that she doesn't have access to at the PC library. Hope that gave you some ideas...

-Faith

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A close friend was in the Peace Corps years ago and asked for tapes of Seinfeld. This was in the VCR era, so we just taped a ton of episodes and sent it with some munchies (like Doritos).

Maybe there are some DVDs she might like.

mharling Guest

A very good freind is on her way home from the Peace Corps. She was an avid reader, so books were always good; as were baked goods. I didn't send it, but I know some other people sent her fun/new lipglosses. Even a simple handmade/beaded bracelet might be nice. In my friend's case, the local attire was pretty blah and monotonous and she liked having something fun to put on.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
    Lane - April 2003
    Faye - March 2005