Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default RE: What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area??

i am from virginia, and i insist that it is not the south! ;)

i say soda (i hate the whole coke thing. don't ask for a stupid coke if you want a dr pepper or a sprite!!)
    i say you all or you guys, not y'all
    i say on the floor, not IN the floor
    i say push the button, not mash the button
    i say creek, not crick

funny things (getting DH to help me here...)
    dh's (female) colleague (and buddy) always calls him "shug" (as in sugar)
    dh's mom says, "make a picture" instead of take a picture
    dh's parents always say "why don't you git yourself a new..." instead of, "why don't you get a new..."

Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area??

I can't think of many from here (I live in Southern New Jersey ... too far enough for the NY/Northern NJ accent, ala The Sopranos. I am a born Piney (slang for the Pine Barrens, which just so happens to be the name of a Sopranos episode where Paulie and Christopher are stuck out in the middle of the Pineys while trying to whack a Russian guy ... but I digress), and we have a few little quirks to our language. Most notably, we say "crick" for creek and we say "warsh" instead of wash (but I've been told this is in other regions as well).

My ILs are from way up in Maine (Bangor area) and they have some doozies. Everything, and I mean everything, is wicked. As in, "It's wicked cold out." "That car is wicked fast." "This pizza is wicked good." It's maddening. They also have a slight New England accent on certain words, like car ... pronounced caaaaah.

ETA: Oooh, just thought of another one for my Piney relatives. My grandfather owns this property (it's actually a working cranberry bog) called Hog Wallow ... but my entire family calls it Hog Waller. I grew up thinking that's what the actual name was ... that it was some kind of wall for hogs. *rolls eyes*

~Kimberly Anne~
    Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
    *the light of my life*

ddmarsh Guest

I am a "pop" Ohioan who still has to pause when her southern sister says "soda."

A couple of phrases in our area that have moved west from Pittsburgh are "red up" (I'm not even sure how to spell it and I refuse to use it) which means to clean up the house. Another is "yins" which, again, I refuse to use and which means "you guys."

One of my favorites was a Wisconsin phrase, I did my undergrad at Marquette, and was "bubbler" for water fountain.

A very local one which completely baffled me when we first move here was the town of Camel. I would hear continuous references to it, just a small area here. About a year after we were here we received a wedding invitation, the church was in a town called "Campbell", like the soup. For the life of me I couldn't determine where it was until someone informed me that "Campbell" was indeed "Camel." It still drives me nuts to hear it pronounced that way!

pittsburghgirl Guest

Heidi -
    I was going to post some of the Pittsburghese I have learned (I'm originally from Iowa) but you got a lot of it.

But I have to add n'at, which is a tag that gets tossed onto the end of a lot of sentences in Pittsburghese:

Yunz goin dahntahn for the Stiller game n'at?

The first time I heard true Pittsburghese (from the mail carrier) I didn't understand a word.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

lmariana Guest

Fun thread!

I'm in GA, and I call all sodas/pops "Cokes". :)

"fixin' to" = preparing to, also is in "I'm fixing dinner." = I'm cooking dinner.
    "grill out" = barbecuing
    and I call people "honey" or "darling" :)

Mariana
    Mom to Gabe (8/03) and Atom (10/05)
    www.heinzandmariana.com

Apparently, "all set" is a Massachusetts one. Having always lived in MA, I didn't even realize it!

We were in Hawaii and the 14-year-old at the ice cream place asked DH if he needed help and DH said "I'm all set." (Meaning no in that instance.) The kid said, "I bet I can tell you where you're from." We didn't think he had a chance and he said "Massachusetts."

I guess it can mean "yes, I've been helped" "no, I don't need help" "we paid our bill and are done" "we paid our bill and need change."

We found out the last part the hard way since we were in Friendly's and had maybe an $11 bill. We only had a $20; the waitress came over and DH said he was "all set" and we never got any change! In retrospect, I can see how "all set" shouldn't mean so many different things and can get confusing, but I never noticed before it was pointed out.

Debbie

smallestangel Guest

I'm from Michigan. So it's pop for me. :) When I lived in VA I asked a kid at a Schlotzsky's for a large pop, he did a double take but figured out what I meant. I also call a liquor store a party store. DH has never heard that and thinks "party store" is what you would call a store that sells party decorations only.

My DH who lived in Brooklyn until he was a teen, then moved to NJ also says "not for nothin'". Like, "Not for nothin' but I did try to call you before you left to let you know about the traffic, but you had already left."

Amanda

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My husband's cousin's ex-wife's kids (got that? LOL) are Southern. We visted them in DC before they got divorced (they were her kids from a previous marriage) and spent two days with them while we were down there for one of my husband's boring seminars/business conferences. Anyway, her kids said "yes, ma'am; no, sir," to EVERYTHING. If I asked a question that they didn't understand or couldn't hear, it was, "Ma'am?" It made my heart swell and also made me want to sell my house and move down South. I swore that I would make sure my son would say it, now if only he would talk. I would love for him to marry a nice, old-fashioned Southern belle. :)

~Kimberly Anne~
    Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
    *the light of my life*

>My ILs are from way up in Maine (Bangor area) and they have
    >some doozies. Everything, and I mean everything, is wicked.
    >As in, "It's wicked cold out." "That car is wicked fast."
    >"This pizza is wicked good." It's maddening. They also have
    >a slight New England accent on certain words, like car ...
    >pronounced caaaaah.
    >

I'm in Massachusetts and we use "wicked" a lot too. I never knew it was a regional thing until I went to college in upstate NY and people looked at me funny when I would say things like "wicked good".
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

>We were also in central TX for awhile at Fort Hood. Texas
    >like to say "y'all" and "fixin to". They also always order a
    >"coke." When you want a "coke", you could mean Pepsi, diet
    >Coke, etc. It's all a coke.
    >
    >Laura :)
    >

I'm only an hour from Ft. Hood. I hear "y'all" all of the time, and "fixin' to" on a rare occasion, but I've never, ever heard anyone order "coke" as a generic term for soda. I thought that was a Southeast thing?

DH recently pointed out the Northerner phenomenon of saying "Come with," as in, "I'm going to the store. Wanna come with?"

I'm from MI originally, and I must say I notice that I say "you guys" an awful lot. I am trying to tone it down! :) Regarding the "pop" slang - I never liked the term and started calling it soda back in high school.

One thing I've noticed is many Michiganders call milk, "melk". I couldn't believe how awful the northern accent was until I had been out of the state for a year!

Bethany
    mom to one and one on the way!
    http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
    "And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
    -J. Torres

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast