Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I move?

1ceng1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Should I move?

The house between my sis and mother (yes, they live on the same cul-de-sac) is up for sale. This is the same block I grew up on and sis has a DD who is close to my kids. Anyway, the house is in the upper realms of what we could afford comfortably at the moment. However, while I like our house and our town now, it would be so great to live near my family in a much larger house with a better lot. We are 45 mins away from my family now and live comfortably with our mortgage. With this other house, the mortgage would be 40% higher and last 10 years longer. What would you do? Is it worth it?
    I love our town now (our house is OK) and if it wasn't for this other house being ideal in both size and location, I wouldn't consider moving back to my hometown.

PLEASE HELP...This house may sell quickly since the location is so great.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Should I move?

If I had a good relationship with my mom and my sis I would do it in a heartbeat.

I would do it too, this type of opportunity doesn't come up that often and it would be great for the kids!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Personally, I would never do it because I find that I get along better with a 3000 mile space between us ;) However, if you have a great relationship and are SURE it could withstand (and thrive) in this setup, go for it! It would be fantastic for the kids. What does dh think?? I don't think I would want to live so close to my in-laws, or even a friend for that matter. One of my friends considered our next door neighbor's house. In retrospect, I'm glad they didn't buy it (it was the first house they saw, so it was too soon to decide) because I like having a little space and privacy. One of my friends lives at the corner of our street. You can't directly see her house from mine, but it's very close and the kids can walk there alone (6 year olds). I think that's the perfect setup for me, because I wouldn't want her to know exactly what we were up to at any given moment. Everyone is different, though. Just some things to consider!!

ETA: Also.. I forgot the price difference. If it's more than you can afford, is it really worth it? (unless you see a big increase in income in your future)

Kris

daisyandacorn Guest

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That sounds like an ideal living situation.
    I'd talk to Dh (I'd keel over if he suggested that to me) but in your situation I'd go for it!
    Good Luck!!
    :) Susan

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

40% more is a lot. I would not do it unless you would be comfortable with the mortgage payment and confident in your income stream. You don't want to be committed to something you can't afford.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

DH is ok with the possiblity of moving there--except for the 40% increase in the mortgage payment. He knows I would be MUCH less stressed with having my family around all day (both my parents ae home all day as well as sis) as well as having convenient babysitting. However, he's nervous about being "owned" by a house. We'd have little left over after the hefty mortgage payment, and the cost of living (food, clothing, etc). Would you be nervous living so tight?

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What would it do to your DH's commute also? Personally I'd be very nervous w/ an increase of 40%. However, 40% in one part of the country isn't going to be the same 40% elsewhere, so that matters too.

Follow your heart - and be sure to update to let us know!!

Laura
    mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
    [img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would do it in a heartbeat!!! That being said, money could be an issue. When figuring the cost difference, don't forget to figure in commuting, babysitting, cost of living, etc. I say that if you can make it work without being so stressed about money that you can't enjoy it, then take it!

Laura :)

Liam (10/21)

Hey, I'm in NJ also, central NJ. DH commute is now 1 mile...no traffic lights, we even walk to visit him every once in a while. We are also in walking distance to the library (less than 1 mile) and park (3 houses away). However, he can get transferred in a minute to be within 15 mins of the other house. The other house is in a more densely populated area and I'd have to drive to get to a park or library or anywhere else for that matter. My mom takes such good care of my sis living near her now--cooks dinner EVERY day, babysits whenever needed (ie., sis needs to shower, clean, shop), tags along when sis needs extra help with her DD. It really is sweet!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast