Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Anyone use Nasacort/Nasonex?Flonase while pregnant? Doctors?

I'm TTC, and currently using Nasacort for severe allergies/congestion. When I was pg last time, the OB and my internist told me it was fine to use, because it's not absorbed in the bloodstream, but I didn't because my allergies weren't too bad then and I didn't want to risk it. Now however, I am fairly miserable even with the Nasacort and I really don't want to stop using it unless I have to.

I just looked it up on safefetus.com, and this scared, as well as confused me. Can anyone interpret this for me? I'm assuming a systemic steroid is a pill, and inhaled is nasal?

"Use of systemic corticosteroids in animals causes decreased fetal survival and weight, inhaled corticosteroids have been reported to be teratogenic.
    Chronic use of systemic corticosteroids by pregnant women is associated with increased incidence of premature deliveriesand decreased birth weight .
    Use of inhaled conventional doses of corticosteroids should be continued in pregnancy and no association with congenital anomalies has been reported"

The first sentence seems to contradict the last. If someone could advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Val
    Mom to Madeline
    7/28/04

Default RE: Anyone use Nasacort/Nasonex?Flonase while pregnant? Doctors?

I did and didn't have any issues.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

jhaud Guest

i was also told i could take my nasacort and had no issues.

babymama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used Flonase, Claritin, and eyedrops when I was pregnant. I had terrible allergies when I was pregnant. The allergies were so severe that I couldn't sleep. They started in my second trimester and didn;t clear up until just before DD was born. The Claritin provided some relief. Flonase provided only marginal relief and they eyedrops were also only slightly helpful.

Lydia
    Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
    and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
    I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used Rhinocort which is another steroid nasal spray. Both my family doc and my OB said it was perfectly fine because the steroid wasn't absorbed into the bloodstream. It helped a little, but not a lot.
    Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

proggoddess Guest

I'm using Nasonex and my OB said it was okay. I'm only using 1 spray for each side, though, just in case. The literature which came with the medicine said that the small amount that you do swallow does not enter the bloodstream very much at all.

At night, I do take a Benadryl instead of using an additional spray. It helps me sleep and seems to take care of the allergies better. I also use those Breathe Right strips. They're great and drug free. I just wish I could wear them all day without people at work staring at me. Hee. :)

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used Flonase throughout my pregnancy, and didn't lose any sleep over it. :)

Although the inhaled corticosteroids are rated "class C" (may be harmful, not recommended for use in pregnancy) there is such a small amount absorbed into the bloodstream from the nose that I wasn't terribly concerned about it. As with many prescription medications, there is not much data available on the effects during pregnancy, because you can't ethically test potentially harmful meds on pregnant women. Personally, I felt the small risk was more than outweighed by the fact that my nose runs like a fire hydrant during allergy season...
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

>"Use of systemic corticosteroids in animals causes decreased
    >fetal survival and weight, inhaled corticosteroids have been
    >reported to be teratogenic.
    >Chronic use of systemic corticosteroids by pregnant women is
    >associated with increased incidence of premature deliveriesand
    >decreased birth weight .
    >Use of inhaled conventional doses of corticosteroids should be
    >continued in pregnancy and no association with congenital
    >anomalies has been reported"
    >
    >The first sentence seems to contradict the last. If someone
    >could advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I think the difference is that the first statement refers to animal studies. Typically these involve higher doses per unit weight than are ever prescribed for humans, so it likely involves relatively high doses of inhaled corticosteroids.

The third statement specifically refers to prescribed doses being safe. It's rare to find such a clear statement of safety with a prescribed drug, so I wouldn't worry about it if you really need it!
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You would fit right in at my sister's office!

My sister walks around her office wearing a migraine-ice patch across her forehead and she could care less. :)
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

(Emphasis mine)

"Use of SYSTEMIC corticosteroids in animals causes decreased fetal survival and weight, INHALED corticosteroids have been reported to be teratogenic. Chronic use of SYSTEMIC corticosteroids by pregnant women is associated with increased incidence of premature deliveries and decreased birth weight. Use of INHALED conventional doses of corticosteroids should be continued in pregnancy and no association with congenital anomalies has been reported"

Agree with PP, the third sentence sums up what you need to know. :)

Taking whopping big doses of systemic corticosteroids (oral prednisone) is not healthy for animals or pregnant women. Inhaled corticosteroids at small doses, not a problem.

PS The drug reps in my office tell me that Flonase will be generic by the end of the year!
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast