Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need HELP with DD's cradle cap!

I wasn't sure where to post this but i figured it would get more responses here. I am sooo frustrated and at my wits end with DD's cradle cap. She is 16 months and has had it since about 3 months. She has very sensitive skin and also eczema. Her allergist said to just use Johnson's and let sit for 5 min. 3X a week, well that seemed to make it worse. It seems like i have tried everything imagineable (Mustela, California Baby, brushing it out, etc.) and nothing has helped. If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate it! TIA

Amanda

KAK22 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: I need HELP with DD's cradle cap!

We used vaseline - i did get rid of the cradle cap, but made DD's hair very greasy. We had to put baby powder on it and then wash to dry up the vaseline. My dad said they used baby oil on me when I was little and it worked!

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ok i will try to remember to the best of my knowledge what i used that worked :)

i want to say that maybe johnsons made it. it is a cradle cap shampoo in a greenish color bottle. it is part of maybe a natural line. they have body soap for eczema too and some lotion for eczema too. it is usually in with the baby shampoo and soaps. it is the only thing that worked for my boys. i was at target looking at the adult dandruff shampoo that my ped said to try as i couldnt get it to go away. i think he said to try the seltzin blue or whatever that stuff is called. well i was scared as heck to use that on my little baby but as i was looking another mom was like is that for you ds and i said yes. well she went on to tell me that her ped had told her the same thing but she tried out the shampoo that i mentioned above as a last resort befor doing the adult shampoo and it worked perfectly for her. it is like 7 or 8 dollars a bottle but it will last a long time. i would just use it every few weeks. i would put some on and let it sit for a min or two and then use one of thoes baby brushes(the really soft ones) and kinda scrub their heads for a min and then rinsed and then washed with reg soap as it left a really greasy film on their hair, but it is totally worth it. i hope this helps :)
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used Mustela to wash DS's hair and then I put baby oil and brushed it on w/the soft bristle hair brush. I scrubbed DS's head pretty hard and it all came off after one week and the baby oil helped moisterize.

Since she has eczema and sensitive skin you could try Cetaphil and a tiny amount of baby oil. If she's sensitive to baby oil you can try olive oil.

Also did you try a probiotic? There were some post on how Probiotic helps w/Eczema. So maybe trying a probiotic then trying some baby oil may just do the trick.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used neutrogena t-gel every other day for about 2 weeks and very lightly combed it before shampooing, and it has completely gone away. I don't even use the shampoo anymore. That's what my ped. told me to do! Just be careful about getting it in the eyes as it is not a "no more tears" product!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

I've always just used a little burts bees apricot oil-it seems to work very well. I've heard of people using other similar things (baby oil, even olive oil).
    Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The only thing that really worked for Abigail's cradle cap when I was a baby was my doing an elimination diet. I didn't do it for that reason, but once I stopped exposing her to the foods she was sensitive to, the cradle cap immediately vanished.

-Rachel
    Mama to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...ethyst_36m.gif
    Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
    10/19/05
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya

Just wanted to add another suggestion-jojoba oil. It's relatively inexpensive and mild. It's used for a variety of things (skin & hair conditions) and moisturizes w/out being greasy. I think it's a good alternative to try before you use a stonger product or baby oil.
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl.../ai_2603000465

-Karina

Thanks! I did try the baby oil when she was really little and it did help but it would always come back. Also, she has been tested for food sensitivities and only has a peanut allergy. I have heard of the probiotics but am kind of scared b/c i don't know anything about it. Any good sites to research? I can't believe i didn't think of the Neutrogena t-gel as i use it myself for psoriasis. I will try the milder oils first i think.

Amanda

I used the Burt's Bees and left it on the hair for 5-10 minutes. Then brushed the scales away with a soft brush. Then a shampoo. When it was really bad, I used the T-Gel a PP mentioned maybe 2x a week for 2 weeks. Then it cleared up and I switched to using an Aveeno baby product. After the T-Gel, the cradle cap never came back but my DD still gets little patches of eczema when it's drier during the winter. You can find probiotic supplements for kids in the refridgerated section of Whole Foods or a health food store. Just think of it as a larger dose of the good bacteria that comes in yogurt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast