Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Most economical way to do helium balloons for party?

I don't know why I can't find the answer to this question, but I know someone here will know- What is the best bargain when it comes to doing a bunch of helium balloons for a party? Do you rent a tank? Buy one of those Balloon Time one use deals? Somebody help, I'm going nuts!!!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Default RE: Most economical way to do helium balloons for party?

It depends on how many you want to do. For DD's first last year, I ordered a few balloons from a party store and it was less than $10. If you're going to do more than 30 balloons I would probably buy the tank. Walmart has it for $18, I think?

It's definitely easier to buy them done but you have to pick them up day of since the helium only lasts about 12 hours.

hth. Have a happy day. :)

Elizabeth
    mommy to DD(April '04) and DS(January '06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

ribbit1019 Guest

I buy my own balloons at my wholesale club (locally called the Flower Factory) and take them to a party store to have them filled at 25-50 cents each. I would call around for prices, but I usually get 40 balloons or so and it typically costs under $15.

Party stores also usually have hi-float a glue like substance they can put into the balloons (usually about 15 cents a balloon) that will keep it afloat for 24 hours. This is an excellent choice if you don't want to have to get your balloons the day of.

The tanks are usually about $25 to buy and $50-$100 to rent around here. IMO you get more helium for your buck by having a party store fill them for you. Those one time use tanks only fill about 15-20 full sized 12" latex/mylar balloons. The rentals have enough helium for 100 or more.

If you are doing a ton of balloons then rent a tank, but usually 40 balloons is more than enough for decoration and a few being drug around by the younger crowd. GL! :)

ETA: It is VERY nice not having to blow up your own balloons. The day of is always hectic for me, picking things up and running around for last minute items. I used to work at a party store (the one I go to to get my balloons filled incidentally) and much prefer picking them up done to making them.

Christy
    My Waterbabies
    Maddy 6/9/04
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
    & Jarred 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
    http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Other/jump.gif

Default More detailed info

I should have given more info:

I can't see doing more than about 30 balloons, but I want to do a couple really big animal shaped ones too. The tanks I've seen that you can buy don't seem like they have enough helium to do that many, so I'd need to get 2 I think.

I'm reluctant to have a store fill them mainly b/c it would be such a pain to transport that many, but maybe it will be the best option. Our cars are small, so I'm not sure we could do it all in one trip.

Maybe I should do some helium, and just blow some up?
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I usually get the mylar balloons from the dollar store, they last longer and are almost the same price as latex. I did also get a helium tank from oriental trading for my sisters shower at the worked well. I did just read somewhere that Michael's has helium tanks and you can use the 40% off coupon for them. Also, the walmart by me will fill your latex balloons if you buy them there. I have never tried it but a girl I work with does it all the time.

I did just read somewhere that Michael's
    >has helium tanks and you can use the 40% off coupon for them.

Ooooooooooooooooooo- now there's an idea!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

be careful about the transpo thing. I have an explorer and went to pick up 3 dozen from party city ($6.99/dozen) and i couldn't see out of the back of the car and the car was totally full. if i would have brought DD with me we would have needed two trips even with my big SUV!

asha is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Costco has a great deal on this. They have a tank of helium and a bunch of ballons etc for 20$. I think that is the best deal I have seen so far. You can make the ballons at home, so no worries about transporting them in the car.

DH bought one of those Balloon Time takns just for fun. We've only done one balloon so far so I'm not sure how many of the large mylar balloons it will fill, but the instructions definitely say that it will fill more mylar than regular latex balloons. I just bought a bunch of large mylar balloons off eBay and with the shipping it was about $5 per balloon. Smaller ones are cheaper. But you can also buy mylar balloons from a place like Walmart and it's not too expensive. DH got DD a round mylar balloon with Elmo on it for $2 a month ago and it's still floating but definitely has lost some volume. So you could even get that kind ahead of time and they will look good for your party.

neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The helium tanks, with the Michaels coupon, comes to about $15 per tank. We filled up over 30 balloons this way. It was easy and cheap. I just recommend allowing enough time to blow them up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast