TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default is 7 lbs in one year too much to gain ?

I looked in Sydney's baby book at her weight at 2 & I see she has gained 7 lbs, she'll be 3 the end of October.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: is 7 lbs in one year too much to gain ?

Well, DS2 has gained 18 lbs in 1 year, but you probably weren't asking about 1 year olds ;)

I don't think you should really be caring about how much weight a 2 year old gains unless she is losing weight. She has probably grown much taller and her body has changed a great deal. Ignore her weight or you might inadvertently set her up for a lifetime of food and body issues.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

What makes you think it would be too much?

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Unless your ped is concerned or your toddler is immobile in front of the TV eating nothing but gummies and fries for the entire year, I would say there is NO way that she is too heavy. And the PP is right, dwelling on it could give her serious issues later in life. I do think that 7 pounds is a little more than the average 2 year old in a year, however, there will always be tons of healthy kids below and above the average.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

newmomto3kids Guest

I took Lily to the doctor recently and she had gained 5 pounds in 4 months. I about had a heart attack. But like the PP said, she isn't sitting in front of the TV all day eating gummies and chips. And she also takes medication that can cause weight gain (although I don't really think that is the cause).But it did give me pause and I have had to remind myself to encourage her to get up and out and to eat healthy snacks.
    And, while I totally agree about not giving kids a complex about their weight, I also feel like it is important that I teach my kids about health and nutrition. I tell my 5 year old about healthy foods, and why we take care of our bodies. I would not hesitate to make and enforce healthy eating choices if I noticed unhealthy weight gain. I think it is much easier to instill that now than later. Having been a chubby kid myself, I wish my mom had done less criticizing of my weight and more encouragment of healthy living.
    But, all that said, I don't think 7 pounds in a year at that age is that unusual.
    Good luck!!

MayB Guest

That sounds reasonable. From what I understand, it's not so much amount gained but rather how it tracks with her previous growth -- is it steady or has it risen or fallen on the growth charts?

Matthew has gained that way from year to year. He is pretty thin and on the shorter side for his age but always has been (10-20% for weight and 20-30% for height).
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I try to have her eat fruit but she still has cake with family every Friday night plus her friends snacks at the park ( strangers snack too ! ) I am much more relaxed about her eating then I used to be, I was just curious, thanks everyone