nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default DD threw up...what do I do?

Okay, this may be kind of a dumb question, but honestly my DD has never had more than a cold in her life. Never an ear infection, virus, etc! So now I don't really have a clue what to do in this situation!

DD has had a cold for about a week now. When I say "cold" really it's just been a runny nose (yellow/green). We saw the ped. last week the day after it started for a regular checkup and she was not concerned. I've been giving her a decongestant during the day and at night to help her deal with the runny nose, but she has not had any fever or other issues. Plus, she started Mother's Day Out in September, and has had a runny nose on and off since then, which is understandable.

Anyhow, today she woke up pretty irritable from her nap, and didn't want a snack (had a little milk and some water). We went out and she was fine, and was fussy in the car on the way home. When we got home I was getting her dinner together and she got hysterical. I was holding and soothing her to calm her down, and she was crying so hard she started coughing a little, and then she threw up. Just what looked like water and some milk bits. Then she calmed down after a minute or so. I took her upstairs and stripped her (and me) down and got a bath ready and she got really upset in the tub so I took her out and got her into her pj's. Came downstairs, put on a dvr'd show for her and got her to drink some milk and eat some bread and butter (about a piece). She doesn't have a fever but I did give her some motrin and a dose of decongestant (which I have been doing for about a week now, to help her breathe better). She is asleep now and went to sleep with no problems. Do you think she needs to see the ped tomorrow? Should I keep her home from MDO if she seems fine tomorrow? She just threw up that one time but it was the first time she has ever thrown up (other than spitting up after nursing when she was a young baby). When I looked up about vomitting in relation to viruses it said she would be throwing up more than just once, and have a fever too, so I don't think it is that. help!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: DD threw up...what do I do?

Per my ped and other moms- if she was coughing, and then threw up, then it was the coughing jag caused a gag reflex, resulting in vomiting. When my DS had bronchiolitis, that happened a couple of times- I have to say, it was sooo frightening! It was like the Exorcist or something!

With no fever, my ped's rule of thumb is, no need for a visit. But if you think DD has gotten worse, I would take her in. Sounds like just a cold and one scary vomit experience!

Hugs to you, and DD!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Last year at preschool they handed out a sheet that had when to keep kids home and for how long after symptoms. 24 hours after vomitting was the recommendation so I would probably keep her home from MDO.

But...if it really was just a one off vomit and she has had a cold I would maybe think differently. I'd probably base it on how she was doing. If she sleeps well, no other symptoms, no more getting sick then I might take her, personally.

I highly recommend "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. It has helped me so many times in the middle of the night with how to handle illnesses. It really is still my go to book when ds gets sick (he is 4yo).

I wouldn't go in to the ped for this though. Call if it will make you feel better though!

Hope she feels better!!

Beth

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sometimes children can throw up because the cold secretions (ie., snot) drain down the back of their throat. Also, it could be she was just upset and that triggered it. If she doesn't throw up any more and seems fine tomorrow, I'd probably skip the dr's visit but would probably keep her home from MDO, just to be safe.

FWIW, my DD was about 20m when she got her first stomach virus. Totally took us by surprise, she'd never even spit up as a newborn.

If she continues to have a sore tummy, I'd eliminate dairy products and do the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet, with Pedialyte. Good luck!

Hope she's better soon!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all the tips. I do have the dr. sears book, of course it's in DD's room right now so I can read it! But I did go to the dr. sears site and he only really talked about viruses (with lots of repeated vomitting) and a few really scary scenarios. Not just a one-time and then she's okay type of thing. I'm going to see how she does tonight (hoping she sleeps through without waking up....last night she was up and couldn't get back on her own so I had to rock her for 20 minutes, but it was before I had gone to bed). If she seems her normal self in the morning and no fever or anything, I might just send her to MDO. It's right down the street and I can certainly go get her if need be. I hate to keep her home unless it's necessary becuase she likes it a lot, I have a dr. appt. for myself, and DH is out of town right now for another 2 weeks....without MDO I get no break! I would absolutely keep her if I felt she was ill and could pass it onto others, but I hate to keep her home if she is fine, you know?

Oh, and the dr. sears website says that unless they can't keep anything down and have vomitted for 12 hours, dehydration isn't a big concern and you don't need to do pedialyte or the BRAT diet.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010