Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    phuong_01 Guest

Default HELP! How to Remove BIG boogers deep in DS's nose!

My DS is about 7 weeks old and has a huge booger deeply in each of his nostrils that I can see! He is still breathing semi-ok (a little labored of course) and can nurse, but the booger is easily taking up most of his nasal passages.

What is the easiest way to remove them? I have read about the saline drops but where do I get them? And how do I administer them? Is it a spray? Or a drop? I am going to try the steamy shower this morning to see if it will loosen it up so he can at least sneeze it out...but I'm not sure if that will work!

Please help me!
    Thanks,
    Phuong

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: HELP! How to Remove BIG boogers deep in DS's nose!

Any drug store has saline drops put 1 or 2 drops up one side of your DSs nose then used the blue bulb syringe ( the one they gave you in the hospital with the longish tapered end) and suck out the loosened booger or snot. THe DO NOT like the bulb syringe and will cry alot. Squeeze the bulb before you insert the tip in the nose then allow the suction pull out the junk. It may take a few sucks to get it down. Wait a few minutes then so the other side.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought the saline drops (Little Noses) at the grocery store or Target- can't rememeber, but you should be able to get them anywhere.

I think I remember by ped saying to count to 3 on each side and that would equal the amount they should get at that age.

Another thing to try (after the nose syringe) is a Q-tip with some vaseline on it. This worked like a charm with DS, and I still do it to clean things up in there! Just put a little bit of vaseline on the end of a Q-tip and wipe away. (just make sure you're pulling the boogie out, not pushing it in farther.

Good luck!

Be careful with Qtips. The cotton part can come off and get stuck, too. People have had to go to the doctor to have it removed.

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's why I coat it in the vaseline- it lubricates it all so it doesn't (or at least hasn't for me) come off. Other than the occassional nose cleaning, I tend to stay away from them, too!

I hate to say this, but I know my pediatrician would probably tell me to just leave it alone, and eventually it will works it's way down. He'd say to try saline drops to loosen it up, but that moms probably do more harm than good trying to get boogers that are way up in their noses.

Now, do I follow that advice? Generally not, and my 2 1/2 year screams bloody murder when I try to get boogers out.

It's hard when they're so little and you know they can't breathe because of boogies.

Good luck. Hope the saline does the trick (or the boogie sucker -- nasal aspirator)

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Don't try to suck them out with the aspirator without saline drops! I think it hurt them--my son cried and cried before we started using saline. Learn from my mistake! "Little Noses" is the brand we buy. Actually it might be "'Lil Noses" but you get the point. They are drops and typically found with all baby meds at CVS/target wherever.

With my son, sometimes we pinch his nose shut really fast four or five times after putting the drops in. That seems to help it loosen up and help it come out. Now that we use the drops he doesn't really get upset anymore.

HTH

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you don't feel comfortable with the bulb syringe, my pediatrician took a tissue and pulled at the center section and twisted it so it made a little point. Insert into nose and turn in a circle. Works like a charm every time, DC won't mind if you do it quickly and there is no risk of poking like with a q-tip.

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My pedi suggested the saline drops and suction bulb, but did recommend giving the saline a few minutes to soften up the mucus before trying to clean out the nose.

This was when my twins were about week old, and 6 weeks premature. It was awful seeing those little babies sick, we never went out, straight from the NICU to home. At least it only lasted about 24 hours.

Good luck : ).

Samantha

If I remember correctly there is a formula for mixing your own saline solution in the the Baby 411 book. It's just table salt and water - but I can't remember the proportions off hand and am not close to my Baby 411 book to check for you. I used to mix my own all the time and squirt it in with a medicine doser. That and a bulb syringe worked great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast