1ceng1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default March family getaway in NJ/PA/NY area?

My kitchen is getting remolded in March and we need to get out of the house for a few days while our entire downstairs is ripped to pieces. We were looking to take the kids (ages 4 and 18 months) to a resort within an hour or two from Somerset County, NJ. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

cmdunn1972 Guest

Default RE: March family getaway in NJ/PA/NY area?

You're pretty centrally located within NJ, so there are lots of options. :)

How about New Hope, PA-Lambertville, NJ area? Not only are those fun cities to walk around in, but Sesame Place is close to there, too. Also, you're not far from Philly, which has a great Children's museum.

Another idea is to head to a location in Philly proper. You could focus on going to the Philly zoo or the Children's museum.

If that's not your cup of tea, there are some lodges in the Poconos area that might be more your bag. I hear the Great Wolf Lodge got some decent reviews (if I remember correctly).

There's also Atlantic City, but I'm not sure what there is to do with kiddos there since I've not actually been. I think the Jersey shore isn't far from there, though, if I'm not mistaken. (Others here might know more about that.)

HTH!

annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

I second all of the above. I actually logged on to learn more about Great Wolf Lodge. I am clueless about your distance, but what about Lancaster, PA? Strasburg Railroad, Thomas stores, Toy Train Museum, Dutch Wonderland (depending on when you go, not sure when it opens) and OUTLETS. There is also a Children's museum I understand and lots of amish stuff.

Please Touch Museum in Philly is a huge hit with our kids. Staying in city proper would be fun. I want to do that at some point. We did that when we lived on the north side of Chicago and it was fun to be a tourist and enjoy that part of the city.

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

no suggestions, but just be aware that "a few days" often morphs into a little longer. You may want to also look into a few local hotels for a night or two after you are supposed to be able to come back in.

We have had fun staying in hotels a few miles from home and seeing the city like tourists.

have fun with the kitchen !! and share pics

MayB Guest

This is a bit on the pricey side, but it is a truly beautiful resort:
    http://www.skytop.com/

I've heard good things about Great Wolf Lodge as well.

You might want to look at a vacation rental or extended stay hotel that provides a kitchenette or suite. I can't imagine staying in a hotel room for more then a day or two with kids that age. Good luck.

Wow, thanks! We've been to Woodloch once before...it was fun. We were also looking into Willow Valley since I've heard many good thing about it.

Yes, I was thinking of looking at a local extended stay hotel since DD still has preschool and other activites to attend to if we get evicted during her "busy" days.

cmdunn1972 Guest

I know Marriot Residence Inns are typically set up that way. They have 1 BR, 2 BR, or studio facilities, and they aren't that expensive. (DH and I got a studio sized one in the DC area around the holidays at the AAA rate of $80/night.)

Lancaster or Philly - Lots of lodging options and lots for kids to do.