1ceng1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Yes or No: New Years Daytime party w/kids

I was thinking of having a daytime New Years Eve party at my house for our friends who have kids and therefore do not go out to celebrate at night. Good idea or bad? Is there something else you'd rather be doing on your day off on New Years Eve? I was thinking of ending it around 6 so everyone can go home to start their wind-down time with their kids (some of which are infants).

Just Wondering.

Default RE: Yes or No: New Years Daytime party w/kids

I think it's a great idea! I would definitely come if I was invited. Sometimes you just want to get together with your friends to celebrate, but having evening parties means cranky kids, or you have to leave early, or finding a babysitter on NYE (good luck with that!). I'd go to your place to have fun, then go home, tuck DS in bed, and go to bed right along with him, because he doesn't care whether the next day is New Year's -- he's going to be up at the crack of dawn anyways!

So I say go for it!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think it sounds like a really nice idea. I have always wanted to hire a babysitter or 2 to supervise the kids in one room while the grown ups had a party in the other rooms. And get dressed up. :) I thought it would be a fun NYE thing to do.

There are all sorts of kid centered NYE events in my city and the norm seems to be activity followed by a countdown. Normal times for the countdown tend to be noon or 9pm. Countdown around 6 would be ok too but you'd probably be on the hook to provide some heavy snacks, if not a meal (just tell people up front what to expect).

Have fun!

Beth

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love the idea. I am totally going to steal it. Have fun.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

>I love the idea. I am totally going to steal it. Have fun.
    >

I was thinking the same thing!
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old

DH and I have been hosting a NYD open house for years. It started out as a post-partying hangover-helper brunch and has evolved to include kids. So, yes, I think it's a great idea. :)
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

New Years Day or New Years Eve?

Most people, including myself, do not get a holiday for New Years Eve. The holiday is New Years Day. I would be very happy to go to a party on New Years Day. My aunt & uncle host an annual New Years Day brunch which we always enjoyed growing up. We haven't been there for New Year's in years, but I would love to attend something like that again.

When New Years Eve falls on a weekend day or a day the two couples we're closest friends with have off anyway (this year it's a Monday but we all have that day off) we do this. Everyone packs up and leaves by 7 or so. The kids get an extended playdate and we (the adults) try to play games - but generally wind up refereeing the playdate instead. ;)

We just do pot-luck finger foods. It's generally more than enough to count for dinner for the adults, and if the kids are still hungry we throw on a couple of boxes of Annie's mac & cheese.

Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds good to me!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think its a great idea. However, I also don't get New Years eve off, but do have New Year's day off. I also love the idea of a New Years Day afternoon party to welcome the New Year in!

Robyn
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes