Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sophiesmom Guest

Default Question for Denise & Alan re: bedrails

Denise and Alan,
    Just got my copy of Toddler Bargains, love it of course! I had a question regarding bed rail safety....

Regarding safety of the rails, the book indicates bedrails are not safe for small children. Does this mean they are not safe for children UNDER the age of 2, or all toddlers? DD is 20 months and just starting in a bed. I was going to buy rails until I read the section in your book that said to skip due to safety issues. Are they unsafe even if made w/ the mesh?

Thanks a lot.
    Stephanie
    sophia 8/4/01
    #2 EDD 5/17/03

Default RE: Question for Denise & Alan re: bedrails

Hi Stephanie: Well, we don't like bed rails for ANY age, but danger is certainly higher for younger kids (under 2) than the older ones. We say skip them all together, however.

--
    Alan & Denise Fields, authors
    BABY BARGAINS * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE
    Web: www.windsorpeak.com.
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 303-442-8792
    Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

--
    The readers speak! Check out our new message boards for our books at:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

--
    Have you seen our new book, TODDLER BARGAINS? It's brand new! For details, click here: http://www.toddlerbargains.com

We removed a reply to this suggestion by accident---the reader asked for another source for bed rail info. Unfortunatley, we don't know of another book/review source on this topic.

--
    Alan & Denise Fields, authors
    BABY BARGAINS * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE

TLC1994 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Just wanted to share what we've done in my 2-year old daughter's bedroom...

I also read the info. regarding bed rails & was leary about getting one, so we put her bed with one side against the wall & put a bunch of stuffed animals there to keep her from getting too close to the wall & possible getting stuck between the bed & the wall. Then we put her crib mattress on the floor next to the other side of the bed (the "open" side). Granted, it takes up floor space, but at least she won't be hitting the floor if she falls out. Plus it makes a nice little step for her to help her get into her big bed. And it's nice to finally get some use out of her crib mattress since she slept with us until she went into her twin bed!

Anyway, I know - it's not ingenius or anything, but it works for us. But if for some reason this isn't a good idea, please let me know & offer me some suggestions please!

jayhjay Guest

I was thinking about a bed rail b/c I think DD will want the security of somethign on all sides after moving from the crib. She is 2.5 and unfortunately we might be relocating her to a bed b/c #2 is on the way (I am also considering getting another crib, but her bed will be here next week). She is really happy in her crib and I think having a whole side open will be too much change for her. I thought the rail would be more cocooning. I am not so worried about her falling, as much as wanting her to feel enclosed. Anyone have any thoughts?

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the same problem. I have a small 2.5 year old. I am buying a toddler bed. BB says there a waste of money but it does depend on how long you use it and what your situation is in your home. We actually ordered her a new mattress and returned it because it is way too high. They make them very tall even with a compressed box spring which takes away 3 inches. I don't want to do the mattress on the floor idea. It feels too frat house or slumber party. Plus, I like to make the bed and see nice linens and things. There are inexpensive toddler beds but I have chosen the DaVinci Lauren. We got it for $159 from a baby store which beat all the internet sources. Check for shipping charges!
    Emmie

mom2kandj Guest

I know this may sound weird, but we bought a twin bunk bed set that we will be using as two separate beds. Normally when you use the bunks separately, you would put together the beds with one headboard and footboard each. Instead, we put together the set as if we were going to stack them and then just put the bottom bed in another room. For DD, she now sleeps in the "top bunk" which has railing almost all the way around except for the opening where the ladder would be. At the opening, we placed a wide stool. We are going on 16-17 months with this set up and it has worked great. We bought the bunks knowing that both kids would need a bed eventually. After the holidays, we plan on switching the beds and then DS can use the "top bunk" when he moves out of the crib.

FYI - For safety reasons, we do not plan on stacking the beds until both kids are at least 6 years old if ever. HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 katie (33 months)
    & Jack (16 months)

cara1 Guest

I'm sorry, I stil don't get it. What IS the safety issue?

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't either. We use one for our 2.5 year old, just so he doesn't fall out of bed. He actually never sleeps near it, but even if he did, I don't see how he could be injured by it.

I COULD see how he could get injured when he leans on it or pulls on it, when awake, but to me that is a supervision issue.

JakesMom Guest

I think, and I'm not positive here, that the safety concern is potentially getting caught between the bed rail and the mattress, ie if DS/DD sticks a hand between them and gets stuck (or, God forbid, their head).

We also bought a toddler bed (from BRU) that is all wood and very nice-looking (even matches the Pali baby furniture). My older son is 4 and has been in it since he was about 22 months old, and it worked like a charm.

Now that he is growing really tall (44 inches!), we are looking at a bunk bed set that sets up in a "T" formation. What I'm going to do is put Jakey on the top bunk (it's not as tall as a typical stacked bunk bed), and put the toddler bed on the bottom for my younger son (about 21 months old now).

My parents have the mesh bed rails on their guest bed for when Jacob visits, and they've been okay but there is definitely room to get caught there.

My suggestion is to put one long side of the bed against the wall, and plop a few pillows on the floor along the open side of the bed. Unless your child really rolls around in his/her sleep, you'll be okay!

Best,
    JT
    Jacob 01/2000
    Daniel 08/2002

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast