Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mamahill Guest

Default RE: Ainsleigh LOVES her pillow!

YIKES! No, I know - she will be heading to a big girl bed soon, but not too soon. Since she doesn't climb out of the crib, she'll be in there until she is potty trained, or until about January, whichever comes first. At that point I need to pack up the crib so that hopefully that gives her a few months to forget about it, and we'll be able to set it up for a sibling. I hesitate to move her now because of a furniture logistical nightmare that I refuse to face until absolutely necessary. And snuggling under the covers with me?! Well, maybe. But she mostly tries to stand up and jump, so we try to avoid that:). I do think that this whole pillow thing will make transitioning to a bed easier, though.

All this "big kid" stuff is fun!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

LOL! Sarah has an old bed pillow of mine on her toddler bed too. She also sleeps on it from the waist up and really likes it! The one I got from PBK is still in the crib.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

brubeck Guest

The reason I mention snuggling under the covers with you is that's how AMy got used to the idea of a blanket. And it doesnt' have to be in your bed, it could be on the couch underneath a blanket for 2.

But yes, this 'big kid' stuff is fun! Today I said, "I love you Amy!" and she automatically replied, "I love you too Mama!". How much better does it get than that? :)

mamahill Guest

Oh yes - then we do snuggle! And I LOVE having them talk back. Yesterday I was shouting down the stairs to Ainsleigh, "I love you!" and she would shout back, "I wha woo!" LOL, it's just one word to her, I think...

My favorite is when she very earnestly comes over, cups her mouth in her hands, and whispers a string of jibberish to me, and then looks expectantly at me for a response. And, when I whisper "what?" back, she says the exact same jibberish. I wish I could see inside her to know what she thinks she's saying! Her daddy "taught" her whispering and now she thinks it's so funny to tell "secrets," most of which consist of me telling her I love her.

I'll have to try a pillow with Alia...might make the crib to bed transition easier. She woke up this morning screaming as she (apparently) got her leg caught in the slats...she was not a happy camper.

Alia has gotten into the habit of taking my face in her hands and speaking earnestly to me. It's when she really wants me to concentrate on her...too funny. She only does it with me, but she knows she has my complete attention and just holds my face while talking to me. And she's right *in* my face too :-)

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

em_jon98 Guest

Default RE: Good first pillow?

I made a toddler sized pillow (12" x 16") for Lindsey. It was really super easy, but it did require sewing. I purchased plain white muslin and cut a piece that was twice as long as I wanted the pillow to be wide, folded it in half and used an overlock stitch on two of the three "sides," stuffed it with premium stuffing, and used an overlock stitch to close the third side.

The muslin and the stuffing were both purchased when they were half off at JoAnn's. Since, I still have a significant portion of the bag of stuffing and a good piece of muslin (I purchased an entire yard--it could be done with less, depending on how large you wanted the pillow to be), I would say the whole thing probably ran around $2-3 dollars.

mrbobbles Guest

I had a hard time finding a good toddler pillow for my son about a year ago, so like some of the other parents who posted responses, I ended up making my own. Then friends and family started asking me for similar pillows, so I started my own business selling the pillows along with spare pillowcases for laundry days. The Toddler Pillows have been so popular and I have such a great selection of cute fabrics that kids love. If you are still looking for a Toddler Pillow, check out my website. I'd be happy to help you!

http://www.mrbobblesblankets.com

Renee Sirulnik

mcades Guest

We transitioned my older son to a big bed when he was 18 months in preparation for #2 to take over the crib. When he made the change, the pillow "came with" the bed. We also use old, mushed flat poly pillows. I definitely recommend rotating between 2 pillows. Inevitably, when the overnight diaper overflows, the pillow gets wet too. So while the wet one is in the wash, we just rotate to the other pillow. I don't think my now 2 1/2 year old has ever figured out that there's more than 1 of his pillows!!

Michelle

After reading this thread I made my own pillows/cases. I bought a regular (cheap) polly filled pillow, cut it in half, took out about 3/4 of the stuffing and sewed it back up. Then I found some prints I knew Alia would like (Sesame Street and Pooh) and made some pillow cases. 2 are in flannel and 2 are in cotton. She absolutely loves them! Thanks for all the great suggestions here!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

1sweetpea Guest

I recently got my son a pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond called the Children's Health Pillow. It's supposed to be free of allergens, etc. It's also machine washable. It's not firm by any means, but it has very little stuffing. I read somewhere that they really don't need much in way of "support". It's a standard size...which I like because I can find pillow covers for it.

I also saw a "My First Pillow" which looked to me like a very firm smaller pillow. It was much more expensive, and it didn't look like something that I would be comfortable sleeping on, so I went for the other pillow instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast