Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default So, did anybody NOT use a bed rail?

We have successfully transitioned Elijah to a twin bed--hooray! But we never did buy a bed rail. I'm embarrassed to say that we've been using a pillow chair. Luckily for us he likes to sleep sideways on the bed, with his head next to the wall and his feet on the open side (resting on one of the arms of the pillow chair!). This is probably because when he slept with us he enjoyed putting his feet up on me.

Let me add that his bed is very low to the ground, and his room is carpeted.

Did anyone else not use a bedrail? Are we completely delinquent parents? If so, please do not report me to the authorities--I promise to buy one online today!

Thanks,
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: So, did anybody NOT use a bed rail?

my 23 month old started sleeping in his little race car toddler bed, which is also VERY low to the ground, about 3 months ago, and we never used a rail either, and he was a real flopper in his crib. at first i would shove a hard flat sofa cushion between the mattress and the side of the bed, but after a bit, stopped doing even that. he never had a problem.

with a twin bed, i would think your son would have even more room, and wouldn't fall... but i don't know... i will let other parents answer that one (and will then discover whether i am delinquent or not also !)

Hallie, congrats--that is awesome, and such a big step for Elijah! :)

I really don't think it's a must-have that you HAVE to have a bed rail. We used one for a very short time, and probably could've gotten away with not having one. I would say, see how he does. If he tumbles off, then get one. If not, he's doing great and I wouldn't sweat it! :)

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We do use a bed rail. I think my DS has become dependent on it. If I take it off he falls out of bed that night. (Oddly he does not wake up.)
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Thanks! It went very smoothly, possibly because he liked the airplane quilt we splurged on from Pottery Barn. Also, his best buddy has a big boy bed, so he had to sleep in it "just like Henry!"

OK, I like your theory--only get it if he falls out!

Thanks everyone for the good advice!
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

brubeck Guest

We have never used a bed rail. The top of the mattress is 18 inches above the (carpeted) floor. Amy has only fallen out once, and that was months after she transitioned to the big kid bed. She let out a startled cry and crawled right back into bed and fell asleep. Now she sleeps right at the edge of the bed near the floor and hasn't fallen out in about a year.

jenfed1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think it depends on the bed. My DD is in a twin size bed that is very high from the ground. We actually were having problems finding a big enough bed rail, because she was rolling out in the space where the bedrail ends. We wound up getting a Snug Tuck Pillow that runs the whole length of the bed (www.snugtuckpillow.com) and she's been fine. I think we are going to need a rail/pillow for a long time since she is very dependent on it. She leans up against it most of the time.

Her bed is too high to take the chance of her falling out again. She fell out twice before we got her pilllow and luckily didn't hurt herself.

If you are using a toddler bed, I think it's fine to skip the rail because they are so close to the floor, they really can't hurt themselves if they fall out.

luvbeinmama Guest

DS was in a toddler bed for a year and never fell out of that. Now he is in a full size and likes to sleep on the outside edge. That made us nervous enough to put padding on the ground for him, but he has never fallen out. The padding has since been removed. We never put a bed rail up for him.

sugarsnappea Guest

We don't use a bed rail. DD bed is low enough to the ground that I don't worry. We never had a falling out issue either. :)

I can't help, as the double bed is sitting on the boxspring (no frame) on the floor, and Alia is still in the crib :-)

Could someone please tell me how to start this? Her current room is completely set up with all her stuff in it, with the crib. Her new room has the double bed as I mentioned above, but I haven't moved any of her stuff in yet. (We had all of this planned as we were pregnant and due in August. Now that we miscarried and have a "reprieve" on time I'm less inclined to force the issue!)

Should I just move all her stuff over and plunk her in her bed Saturday? I'm going to be traveling most of April, so was thinking I would wait until May when I'm back...I'm so nervous about this whole process! So unsure about the right way to do this so she doesn't hate the bed. She likes her crib, sleeps amazingly well (which is something I don't want to jeapordize) etc.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast