I am going to be transitioning DS to a bed soon in prep for his little brothers arrival. He'll only be 19 months but I really don't want to purchase another crib. I have been reading old posts about this but I am still confused.....

I still can't decide between going with a toddler bed (we'll have to purchase one, plus an addt'l crib mattress) or a twin (which I have). I really think the twin (on the floor) will still be to big for him-he's not even 2 yet! It's just that I already have the twin and the catcher is that right now it is in little brothers room (guest room up until now) and I really have no place to put it. No basement -It may be able to squeeze into my parents basement -but I hate to inconvienience them (it will paratially block some storage shelves).

My question, which may help narrow this down, is about mattress safety. The twin we have is a Kings Down pillow top (which is sapposed to be a mold-to-yo type, I think. Not a traditional coil mattress, but not one of those space-foam thingees either). Is there any concern about the amount of a support a mattress has or if its too pillow-y?

Any other adivice in this area appreciated! (esp. if you have experience with a babe under 2 in a twin/toddler bed). My main concern is
1. Is the mattress safe for him and
2. Is it realistic to put an 18 month old directly into a twin?

TIA