Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hjdong Guest

Default Do I HAVE to move DS out of crib?

Yesterday, Jamie began getting his leg over the crib. So far, he can only get his foot and ankle out. My DH wans to wait until he gets to the knee, but I'm kind of afraid if he gets to the knee he'll crash to the floor and THAT'S not how I want to find out he needs to be in a bed. He's so short I thought I had a while before I had to worry about this.

Here's my concern - he takes 1/2 an hour to get to sleep and generally wakes up once per nap and once at night. If he's in a bed, won't he be less likely to sleep - if he can get up when he wants? Right now, he's very easy to get back to sleep but if he's in the bed and can get out, I think he'll wake himself up.

TIA

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Do I HAVE to move DS out of crib?

Holly,
    We got a crib tent and Colin LOVES it! It also keeps him from crawling out. I didn't want do anything to mess up his sleep, including moving him to a bed. (which might have been fine, but I really didn't want to take the risk!) The crib tent seems to be the perfect solution. He begs me to zip it up as soon as I put him in his crib. I think he thinks he's sleeping in a secret fort!

[http://tinyurl.com/yq2zs]

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote for the crib tent. DS stayed in the crib until he was almost 3.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

hjdong Guest

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, someone at DH work offered him a free toddler bed, so he wants to try that first. I have a feeling I will be very tired next week (he's getting it Tuesday), and by Friday, letting you know we're getting the crib tent (or, perhaps I'll be proved wrong). I think it's going to be a long week . . .

raynjen Guest

Hang in there, maybe when he see your blurry eyes in a few days he'll relent...

Good Luck!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I switched my son to a twin mattress on the floor recently after he tried to climb out of his crib. I was VERY worried that the change would ruin his sleeping habits. But, I've been pleasantly surprised. Some nights it has been a little harder to get him to fall asleep. But, overall, the transition has been better than I hoped. He really likes his new bed and he gets very excited when he sees it. He has been taking longer naps -- he went from 1-2 hours to 2-3 hours-- and even sleeps a little later in the mornings.

hjdong Guest

Default Update

So far, this is BAD. But, to give DH credit, he got up with him (every two hours!!!) last night. However, he didn't climb out and start playing (my concern), he screamed. I think the change is a little too much. He did still mostly go back to sleep quickly. He did something similiar about two weeks after we got home from adoption (after two weeks of screaming from 12-4 a.m.), like he's just checking to make sure we'll come in. Hopefully, this will pass more quickly!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Update

Well, at least you don't have to worry about him falling out now! I hope he adjusts quickly.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver