Default Does anyone have experience using magnetic paint?

I would like to use it in my girls' room, but want to know if it really works and since there are so many brands, which one is best...

lbess is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default RE: Does anyone have experience using magnetic paint?

We did one of the walls in DD's room with magnetic paint. The kind we used was a gray primer that came from Michaels. It works, but not every magnet will stick -- weaker magnets don't stick as well as the bigger round ones. Be aware that you'll need to do multiple coats of the primer (we did 3). The worst problem that we've had with it is the desire to put furniture against that wall, limiting her access to it to stick magnets!

raynjen Guest

Be sure to use the can version NOT the spray version. We followed the spray instructions to the tee, put on multiple coats, and even the strongest magnets slid down.

Instead we bought a sheet of metal at our local DIY store and mounted that to the wall with double stick tape (I wouldn't recommend the tape for drywall - use screws or a wood frame instead). The metal sheet has a white enamel finish on one side (so my DD's room doesn't look like Monster Garage =)

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
    who is almost three, Noelle!

ginamb Guest

We just painted a partial wall in my son's "big boy" room. We used Kling Magic Wall Magnetic Paint because it was recommended on HGTV.

http://www.kling.com/magneticpaintindex.html

It's a dark gray primer that actually covers up really well with your base paint (ours was a light blue). Used 4 coats. All magnets we've tried have worked on it, including fairly weak ones. It's a bit pricey, but worked well.