I have two sons, one is 2 and one is 3 1/2. Neither of them sleep under sheets. No wonder, since from the moment they are in the crib you are told not to put anything in with them, so my children learned to sleep in the crib with just their pjs on.

But now they are both in beds...my oldest has been in a bed since he was 17 months and my two year old has been in a bed since he turned two (about two months now) and both refuse to even try to sleep under a sheet! I think that would help them from falling out. (Not to mention that I cannot imagine them in 30 years - married, explaining to their wives that they must sleep on top of the bedspread.....) :-) The youngest, Colin, will at least let me throw a blanket over his legs and feet when falling asleep. Not so with Andrew. Even when he is asleep and I try to throw a blanket over him he will kick it off.

How on earth do you transition a child from sleeping with just the clothes on their backs to sleeping under a sheet (and in the winter, a bedspread)?

Right now, we use bed rails with both boys. Andrew has an "old fashioned" wooden rail foldaway type (old fashioned because it was bought 2 years ago! :-)) and Colin has a mesh lined foldaway (which I hate because it takes two hands to fold it down...). I love the old fashioned wooden rails one - it stays close to the bed and is no problem. We have to get rid of the mesh one because it has already developed holes and small tears in the mesh. The company has just been wonderful in agreeing to ship it back and refund us. The question is, what to replace it with? Another bed rail? A snugtuck?

For those who have a snugtuk, can your child crawl into the bed on his own? For that matter, if your child wakes up in the middle of the night, can he crawl out of bed on his own? Colin wakes up frequently and comes to get me in my room (at which point, I just put him back to his bed and tell him to go back to sleep, most of which he does!). But he is in a "real" bed, rather high up off the ground, and I do't want him to have to climb over it in order to get down....

Just curious as to the experiences folks have had with it.