Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    amp Guest

Default What kind of bed did you buy?

We are in the process of thinking and looking for a bed for the future for DS. We know that we would like to start introducing the idea of moving to a big boy bed in the next 6 mths, but have a few backup plans if it doesn't work as planned.

So my question is, how many of you went with a twin bed? That is what we anticipated doing, but are having trouble finding something that is affordable, good quality (as opposed to Sauder type material) wood, timeless, classic styles. I was hoping this bed would last well into his teen years at least, if not until he left home. Is this unrealistic? We definitely want to skip the toddler be altogether!

Has anyone used any online furniture merchants? We've been looking strictly in B&M stores at this point and have not ordered any kind of furniture online. I'm a bit leary to buy anything sight unseen that way and have heard shipping horror stories.

Any advice?

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: What kind of bed did you buy?

We bought a rumble tuff twin bed. It's a very simple, classic style and solid wood. I think it will last a loooong time.

I purchased it at Crib and Teen City, though, not online. It looks a lot like this bed from Land of Nod:
    http://www.landofnod.com/landofnod/i...2051_Large.jpg
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

amp Guest

Oooh, I like it! But we don't have that store here, and our budget is limited, so i suspect I couldn't afford the one at Land of Nod either. x( Thanks for your input!

kmty Guest

We have bought Simple Expressions from the Stanley Furniture line. We did not buy it online, but at a local store; the website lists retailers. http://www.youngamerica.stanleyfurni...erica/index.do

We also looked at Cargo Funiture and were thinking about getting a bunk bed or just a top bunk (so it would have railings), but couldn't find a full set (with desk) which is what we wanted.

Are you looking for just a bed or a full furniture set? If you want just a bed, you could
    - try to get a trundle bed which might be cheaper.
    - Use a mattress, box spring, and frame with no actual bedframe. It is strange that I buy all these other things, but never had a real bedframe, just a headboard at most, growing up.
    - Just put the mattress, box spring on the floor.

We needed to move my son to a bed right away, and our furniture hasn't arrived yet. So, we right now just have a mattress on the floor with Nemo sheets. We don't worry about him falling off the mattress and he loves it so far.

Good luck!

amp Guest

I did check out the young america stuff from Stanley. We are still looking locally, so I haven't ruled anything out yet, but it ain't cheap!

We are looking for a bed and dresser and possibly a bookcase, although that will be the first thing I give up.

One of our backup plans is to just put a mattress on the floor for awhile. I'd like to get a set, but it may not be feasible. Luckily, we're still in the planning/window shopping phase.

Thanks!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do you have an Ikea nearby? They have good prices and some nice, simple designs.

Another place you could look is an unfinished wood store. We purchased our son's bookcase at one near us and had it stained to match his dresser and bed. There were plenty of beds in stock and some headboards that were about $75-$100.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

amp Guest

Nope, no IKEA that I'm aware of.

Good thought on the unfinshed product. I'll have to see if we have any of those near us. Thanks for the tip!

barbarhow Guest

The beds I had in my room growing up were from an unpainted furniture store. Simple headboars that my Dad painted white-used with the Harvard frames that came with the mattress and boxsprings they were great. I am actually hoping to swipe them from my Mom's attic because they would be perfect in DS's room and would go perfectly with the dresser that I already swiped from her that served as my brother's nightstand way back when. His furniture was stained so DH sanded it and painted it. With the addition of some cute drawer pulls it is perfect. Good luck.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

Hello my fellow pregger friend. We are going to use a twin mattress on the floor with some floor pillows around it (for the inevitable rolling off the mattress :)). DH and I looked at toddler beds at PBK and decided that it just wasn't the route we wanted either. We love the idea of a trundle bed for Ryan's room but he is obviously too little for this still. Now we don't feel so much pressure to buy the bed soon either knowing he will be on a mattress for a while. It won't be the most attractive thing but we'll make it as cute as possible.

On another note, we bought our first thing today (airplane mobile) for Ryan's "big boy room" today when we were at PBK. :) He's getting booted to make way for his new little sis and we'll do it in the next 3 months so he doesn't feel like he was booted for her. Airplanes is the theme of the new room since it is his new fascination and DH loves the idea and is taking it on as his own little project. :)

Have fun.
    Mom to R and R

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're going the toddler bed route, because I think the transition will be easier for him (we're also switching rooms). But I think even if we went with a twin, we'd probably buy something from IKEA. My husband and his brothers were all in full-sized beds by the time they were in junior high (due to height) and, actually, so was I. I'm still using the furniture set that I have from when I was 14 and although it's good quality, solid-wood construction, I'm sick to death of it. If it had been lower quality, I would feel a lot better about getting something new.

You might also try looking in vintage and antiques shops and markets for a vintage headboard, which you can then attach to a modern frame.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast