Default Transition to Full size bed a success

I have been meaning to post that Ryan made the move from the crib to a full size mattress/boxspring last month beautifully. We put both of them on the floor and he got his new Airplane sheets from Company Store and we were off to the races. He has never fallen out of bed and as awful as it might be, we have several pillows in bed with him and he is thrilled. He is still learning about staying under the covers and we are working on him staying in the bed when we leave the room. :)

We have the video monitor in there now, so I can see his evil ways when he gets out of bed to play after we have done his routine and tucked him in. It definitely takes him longer to fall asleep since he is playing in there, but we are adjusting times for that so we try to stay on top of our schedule.

I thought we would have to put a gate or nightlight in the room but we haven't. We close the door at night and we just taught him in the morning to call for us and we haven't heard a cry out of him. It took about 2 weeks for us to teach him that we can hear him if he just says, "Ryan awake" or "Daddy...Ryan". He is happy every morning which was not the case when he was in the crib!

Just wanted to give an update for those considering a bigger bed since we weren't sure how it would work either.
    Mom to R and R

bluej Guest

Default RE: Transition to Full size bed a success

Yeah! We are moving in a few weeks and trying to figure out what to do for Ry...set his crib up or his bed. As much of a climber he is, he doesn't climb out of his crib...yet. So I'm leaning toward keeping the crib for awhile longer. My other concern with the bed is not so much Ryden playing instead of sleeping, but out and out leaving the room. Ryan doesn't open the door and leave? I'm thinking we would have to put a door knob cover on the door to keep Ryden in (and for some reason that sounds bad, like I'm locking him in).

Anyway, I'm happy the transition went so well for Ryan!

hjdong Guest

You know, my DS has never opened the door to his bedroom - kicked it, screamed under it, but never opened it. I'm not really sure why.

bluej Guest

LOL! When you said 'screamed under it' it brought back images of my DD sticking her fingers out under the door jam and saying (sometimes crying) "I seeeeee youuuuuu" when we first transitioned her to a bed. She too never opened the door, just peeked under it to see if DH or I were upstairs.

Ryden's entertainment throughout the day is to open doors, for no other reason than to show me that he can.

You know we close the door to his room (it is an egg shaped knob and he can't get it open still) and lock the bathroom door since it is a lever handle. I have some door knob covers ready if he does learn how though!

If Ryden is crafty with door knobs then I wouldn't hesitate to put a cover on it. I would be more worried about him getting out than feeling like I was locking him in (which you are :)).

Good luck with the move!
    Mom to R and R

OMG. You are hilarious. "Evil ways"

Martie just naturally knocks on her door when she wants out. It's quite amusing.

Yeah for the transition!

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie