momof22be Guest

Default Loft bed for 2yr old--am I crazy?

Hi!
    Thought I'd see if anyone has thoughts on this. I'm about to transition my 22 mo old to a big boy bed, and I fell in love with this one at Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=47123
    (I have to click the "enlarge image" button to get the photo to come up)

It's called a "high bed", and it's 43" above the ground. I just love the slide-- my guy is a serious climber and loves the active equipment. So, am I insane to think about putting him up there? There are bed rails, so I don't think he'll fall out in his sleep.

Please help me out with a reality check, good idea or not?

Thanks in advance,
    Sally

hjdong Guest

Default RE: Loft bed for 2yr old--am I crazy?

Personally, I would wait on this (although I think it's really cute and am thinking of getting it for when we move - DS will be about 3 1/2 if our house finishes on schedule). It's kind of a big transition to go from a crib to this. You might want to just put a twin mattress on the floor and get him used to sleeeping on that. Then, take him to Ikea, let him play (if they'll let him - I think they do?) on it, and talk to him about it. I would almost be more concerned if he was a serious climber, because he might not know his limits when you weren't there (I'm picturing hanging onto the bed rails after DS tried to climb down the side.

JMO,

jgirl Guest

I'd be more concerned about my kid not wanting to go to bed because he wants to play on it. My DS is 2 1/2 & I *know* nap time would turn into slide time.

The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend bunk beds or any type of bed off the ground for kiddies under 6 (to be on the top bunk). I would be nervous about having my not quite 2 year old so high off the ground. I know that when we transitioned DS (who was around the same age) he would get out of bed often and sleep on the floor.

I know my DS wants a bed simliar to the one you posted. I promised him that once he was old enough, we would get something like that. For now, he is sleeping in a regular twin...which happens to be from Ikea!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

AdoptChina Guest

I wouldn't do it....I think 2 is still way too young

momof22be Guest

So I am growing more convinced (thanks much to your responses) that I really do need to wait. We actually bought the bed (have not assembled yet), and are happy to wait to put it together until he's older. It was on sale for $150 at Ikea and I couldn't resist. But as athletic as my little scooter is, I think you're all right that we just need to wait. >sigh< It'll probably be hard for me to wait until he's 6, but I will certainly wait for another year or two.

Thanks much for all your responses.
    -Sally

jubilee Guest

I also think it is good to wait. I personally wouldn't let my 2 year old son climb up a slide/slide down without supervision... and in the middle of the night... especially when potty training... I think it could have bad results. It looks like such a fun bed for a school-age child, I'm sure he'll LOVE it then!

I have a friend with this bed and her 3yo LOVES it! She just taught him that at bed time he needed to stay in his bed and NOT slide and he did. It's really not that high off the ground and since the slide is the fun way to get down, she never worried about him climbing the sides. :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

momof22be Guest

Do you have any idea how she handled the potty training part in the middle of the night? Does her 3 yo wake up and slide down to go potty?

Thanks... just curious!
    -Sally