DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need decor ideas for my toddler

We moved to a brand new house, so I have a blank slate! The white walls have to go!

My ds is currenty 18 mo and isn't really "into" anything as far as characters or themes go. He actually still mostly co-sleeps, so he rarely sleeps in the room anyway.... but it still needs to be painted/decorated. After these molars poke through, we're going to attempt moving him, so the room might get some use after all.

Any good sites or books to start getting some ideas? The only thing I can come up with is to do a wallpaper border, but that seems totally lame. LOL!

edited to add that I could also use some ideas for stuffed animal storage.

~ deb
    DS 12/03
    And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Need decor ideas for my toddler

How about painting each wall a different color? I would add one of the nets or a basket for animal storage, get a bookcase to put baskets of toys, books, collectibles, put in a toddler chair like the one from PBKs, add maybe a fun clock on the wall with some artwork. There are also lots of sites where you can get those whimsical letters to spell out his name on top of the bookcase or stick on the wall. You can even paint maybe a polka dot border or wavy stripes on the top of the room. Keep it colors you like so that when he is ready for toddler bedding, you can find things easy. I would skip doing heavy themes or characters. Seems you have to change those more often.
    Michele
    Mama to three girls

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you like a heavily coordinated look or theme, the Company Kids website has a lot of patterns. I like Land of Nod--they have some designs, but they mostly have plaids and stripes for boys. Pottery Barn Kids has cute things, some of which are a bit pricey. Their website is good for several photographs and views of the items so that you can see them in the room from other angles and get ideas on accessories. Beware, though, some people have fallen in love with an accessory in the pictures only to find out that it's not available anywhere!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

jubilee Guest

I'm in this situation too. Logan is just two, but I want to plan a room for him to be able to use for at least 5-6 years. Because of that, I'm not going to use "character" designs, like Thomas the Train. Logan adores Thomas now, but in 4 years that may be "too babyish"- so I'm deciding between classic themes like airplanes, cars, trains, safari/animals, sports. Once I pick the comforter, then I will plan out the rest of the room. I am going to try to paint a mural on the walls based on the comforter. I'm leaning towards planes- so will paint the walls sky blue and have planes zooming along.

AdoptChina Guest

I wouldn't do anything like Elmo/Barney/Blues Clues etc b/c they can fall out of favor quickly. Id stick with something more classic like vehicles (trains, planes etc), cowboy/western, jungle, sports etc...we did sailboats. Id also recommend not doing a wallpaper border b/c then you are stuck with that theme. We just have light blue walls w/white trim....then did the bedding in the sailboat theme (sheets and pillows...the comforter is a solid color)...and have some removable decorations that tie in. But if DS decides he hates boats, we can swap out some of the sailboat items and get something new without having to redo the whole room

I like Land of Nod, Warm Biscuit, Company Kids and Pottery Barn kids for some ideas

(My other boys are getting a surf room)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We're in the same boat, except DS will only be 16 months when we move. And, the walls in his new room are a pretty shade of lavendar!

He'll be in his crib for a while yet and I don't want to get new crib stuff. I've picked up some cute dinosaur pictures for the walls at garage sales this summer and want to do a dinosaur room for him. Fortunately, the dinos are cartoon-ish rather than real-life, and his crib stuff is primary colors.

I was looking at www.thecompanystore.com. They seem tohave a large selection of stuff. I figure at this point, I get to decide the room theme and in a few years, he can pick something new.
    Kris

bluej Guest

LOL! We just moved and Ryden and Caden both currently have lavender rooms! We are painting both rooms beige. Bland, I know. Both boys have new bedding, Caden's is the Explorer from PBK and Ry's is the Rover from PBK (both discontinued and got for cheap cheap cheap). In both cases I want the accessories and curtains to be red and I really don't want the rooms to be too busy, so I think beige works best.

pixelprincess Guest

I started with a Curious George theme, but more so using color and changeable art. I figured DS could grow with the paint color on the walls (a deep yellow with a earthy red trim). The furniture is blond and blue. The bedding is currently PBK space theme and going to be replaced soon for his twin bed. You can get some great ideas from Pottery Barn, Company Store and Room and Board.

Have fun!