Default good/best mattresses to get DS moving to first bed?

Hi there! DS has been in our bed for a week and says (let's see if this works IRL) that if we get him a bed, he'll sleep in it by himself! So should I get a firm mattress? A soft one? Pillowtop? What's a good brand? Anything else to look for? And I will I regret getting a twin size? He has a big room, but his little sister has a small one that won't take a full and I want to be fair!! TIA! Oh-and do I need a boxspring (I haven't picked out the headboard/frame yet)

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: good/best mattresses to get DS moving to first bed?

I am helping my SIL (who just had her newest baby a bit early) shop for a bed for her 2 year old, so I'll tell you what we're doing. We're getting a firm mattress (nothing is as hard as those Colgate mattresses, in any case) but probably not too extra firm. We'll be getting a Sealy or a Simmons (just because they're widely available). She hasn't made up her mind yet but I don't think it matters too much, they're both reputable. We'll be getting a decent quality level, since she wants it to last through elementary school. Simmons has a "kid-specific" mattress that has a waterproof cover and other features, but we decided it wasn't worth the extra expense and we'll just get a good waterproof mattress cover from Lands' End.

As to the box spring, it depends on what you get. We were told by a salesperson that a boxspring isn't absolutely necessary for the mattress to perform well. That used to be true, but with most high-quality mattresses, you don't need a box if you have a frame that has a lot of support (at least three, if not more, cross supports). My SIL definitely can't make up her mind whether she wants a bed with a trundle/drawer system or just a headboard/footboard. Some of those with underbed storage drawers don't take a boxspring. So, in the meantime, we'll be getting the boxspring anyway (they're cheap compared to the mattress) and a basic frame.

HTH!
    Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!