Default What do you recommend for a 21 month old peanut? Full size bed or crib?

Hi everyone,

Our daughter will be 21 months old when her little brother/sister is born. She is a peanut...maybe 20 pounds at 14 months old. When are most kids ready to transition?

She has a Pali crib that converts to a full size bed, but we're not sure that we want to buy another crib. I just don't know if it will all be too much for her--new baby, bed, etc. I also don't want to invest in a second crib if she will be transitioning soon after baby #2 is born. It would be much less expensive to buy a full size headboard, etc.

What have your experiences been?

Thanks!

Default RE: What do you recommend for a 21 month old peanut? Full size bed or crib?

We put DS in a twin bed right about that age. He had no problems making the transition, but he wasn't in a crib--he had been cosleeping with us. I would suggest transitioning her a month or so before the baby is born. You can put a mattress on the floor so she gets used to the feel of it but can't fall far.
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

jbrandy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: What do you recommend for a 21 month old peanut? Full size bed or crib?

DS went from the crib to a twin bed with no problems. I didn't even buy any rails -- he did very well. We did this when he was 22 months. We did put one side of his bed against the wall and bought a step stool. He can get in and out himself but for some reason (knock on wood) he always waits until we tell him that he can get out.

I also put a stool with a basket of books right beside the bed so that he can reach in (from the bed) and get what he wants to look at. We also hang a small flashlight from the post of the bed (that he can turn on) so he has that if he needs it.

I would say go for the twin bed. Best wishes!

Beth
    DS 4-4-03
    #2 2-10-06

c2lane Guest

My DD will be 21 months when our 2nd baby comes along and plan on transitioning her into a twin bed sometime around 2.

We have a bassinette for the baby and I figure she'll outgrow it right around the time DD turns 2.

I'm actually going this weekend to purchase/order bunkbeds as the girls will be sharing a small room and my FIL has so generously offered to pay for EVERYTHING to get the room ready!

~Carrie
    mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
    & our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040102/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]
    http://lilypie.com/days/051006/2/5/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

I know most people think they're unnecessary, but we put Miriam in a toddler bed right after Gabriel was born, and she loves it. She's a major thrasher, so we didn't want to have to deal with her falling out of a twin bed all of the time. There were no transition problems for her whatsoever, and I don't know if that's just because she's easy, or because the bed was her size. We're happy with our decision and would do it again.

ETA: She was also a peanut--she wasn't 20 lbs. until about a year old.

Sheila
    Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
    Gabriel, 12/30/04

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a 21 month year old, I feel that's young to go into a bed, when they baby is born u can use a pack n play or bassinet for a few months then use the crib for the new baby & put your daughter in a bed later on.

Haille, I'm sorry to hijack the thread but how did you go from co-sleeping to the twin bed? My DS is 23 months now and we have been trying to transistion him for a few months now. We have good nights and bad nights....

Default OT - Flashlight for toddler?

Totally off topic... (sorry)...
    Beth,
    What kind of flashlight do you have that DS can turn on by himself?

Maryann
    Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!
    AND Baby #2 EDD 01/08/06!