Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    pixelprincess Guest

Default What twin bed does your toddler sleep in?

I am trying to find out what's out there. I'd like something in a lighter wood but am open to looking at other options.

Some of the ones I have checked are Room and Board, Company Store, PBK. Also looking at less expensive options.

Can you post pics if don't mind sharing them?

thanks,

Default RE: What twin bed does your toddler sleep in?

Eli is in a twin from IKEA that they apparently no longer make, or at least don't list on their website. It is very simple, light wood, with a headboard of "woven" wood (not wicker). It is fairly low and also about as short as it can be and still fit a standard twin mattress (no box spring) since it has no footboard, so it is able to fit into his small bedroom. We've been happy with it--sturdy, inexpensive, reasonably easy to put together, real wood.

Sorry I don't have a picture!
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

We have a twin bed on a frame with a bunky board. He purchased an inexpensive headboard from a local furniture store that does not look too bad with the low bed.

A bunky board is sometimes called a posture board and is used for bunk beds because a box spring with make the mattress to high. We also use pool noodles under the mattress pad to help DS know where the bed ends. He was moved at 21 months and has only fallen out of bed twice. The first time he did not even wakeup!

Here are a few pictures, please don't pay attention to the messy room.

Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

pixelprincess Guest

Thanks Hallie. I have been considering IKEA frames and have been wanting to go check them out. For some reason the last time I tried to look online the site was down. I am just wondering if down the road the low to the ground bed would appeal to older kids? I am hoping to have it for a long time.

pixelprincess Guest

What a great idea Michelle! The headboard really does work. I love all the animals accents too. It sounds like you had a pretty good transtion. thanks for sharing the cute pics!

None of the ideas are my own, just things I've picked up from the boards that work great for us. One think I like is that we can always add a box spring to the bed if we want it higher latter on. Also we are thinking about bunkbeds for when the boys are older and the mattress and bunky board can just be moved over to the new set.

I do need to say that DS#1 never liked sleeping in his crib. We used to lay with him in our bed till he was very asleep then sneak him into the crib. Because he has always liked a bed better than a crib the move to his own bed was easy.
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

You know, I'm not sure if a box spring could be added later. If so, it would definitely add height to the bed. There is enough room to store things underneath, but it is lower because the mattress is directly on the frame. But I never considered that point...I think because I figured I'd wind up with bunk beds at some point. IKEA's beds do tend to be low, even their "adult" beds.
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

We also have an IKEA twin bed for DS. Here is the link to IKEA for the "Hemnes" style:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10103*10144

I really liked it because of the slats at the bottom, which allowed us to put the mattress directly "in" to the bed frame (kind of like a futon...) DS can get in and out of bed all by himself, even without the small stepstool we have at the side of the bed. I also got a double bed-rail set from Target that fits in between the slats under the mattress so he doesn't roll out of bed. Later, when he gets bigger, we can take out the bed rails and put a box spring into the frame. We are really happy with it--not too expensive, pretty color, solid wood, etc. The only thing I would do differently is buy a twin mattress at Costco or Sam's instead of the IKEA matress (no problems with the quality, but could have gotten one just as nice for less...)

HTH!

Nicole
    Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

Who's the Biggest Boy? It's Jackson!
    http://lilypie.com/baby4/020430/1/2/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

amp Guest

We bought a Stanley Young America set called Oak Harbor. It's oak, and also comes in Cherry. But they have other sets that are a lighter wood color, more of the blond color too. For example, one I really liked was Winterhaven, until I saw it was a lighter/blonder wood, and that's not what I wanted. We bought ours from a local retailer, but many places online carry Stanley too.

http://www.youngamerica.stanleyfurni...ca/Homepage.do

rclasco Guest

We bought a Moosehead slat bed for our son (www.mooseheadfurniture.com). They have several different styles of beds. We also have their sleigh bed in our master bedroom. Another good solid wood manufacturer is Mother Hubbard's Cupboards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast