Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: What twin bed does your toddler sleep in?

I was just coming on to post a similar question. Great minds, and all that. :)

I've heard good things about IKEA as well, but we never got around to checking out their beds. While I was shopping for something else last weekend, I saw a floor model of a seemingly well made bed in Great Beginnings (a huge children's store in MD) and bought it. It was $300 off, so I jumped at it. (I have a week to decide whether to return it and haven't yet taken delivery, so I figured I wasn't risking anything.) It also has a bunkie (sp?) board, and just takes a mattress, though a box spring can be added. The manufacurer is Oak Designs. I hadn't heard of them before, but the bed is solid and seems very well made. I was looking for a basic design - not too juvenile or ornate, so it wouldn't seem out of place in a few years.

Sarah's room is on the small side, so as much as I wanted a full bed, I knew it would seem too large in there. So, one thing I was after was a bed with an optional storage trundle that we could add a mattress to for sleepovers, etc.

Here is a picture of the bed, but in a darker stain than Sarah's.

http://www.oakdesigns.com/images/pro...0twin%20br.jpg

I really thought I'd be checking out Crate & Barrel and some of our other usual furniture places, but I wasn't able to pass up this deal and, for once, it was nice not to spend weekend after weekend looking at and obsessing over a purchase. ;)

Good luck!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

p.s. Sorry I haven't emailed in ages - will try to get my act together soon. Sarah sends Rowan kisses!

We got our bed from a local furniture store. I'm really happy with it. The wood is a pretty color and the construction is sturdy and well made. We chose a captains bed because of the extra storage. The drawers underneath store all of DS's cloth diapers and the shelves above the bed have all his stuffed animals and a clock. Here is a link to store we purchased it at http://www.homeworld.com/bedrooms/youthbdrm2.htm

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/28632.jpg

ETA: Found the link of the company http://www.canwood.com/products/mates/index.html

pixelprincess Guest

angie, thanks for the pic/links. i love the storage underneath since the room is small. how much is it? the site doesn't list any pricing. how is cute little noah??

pixelprincess Guest

melissa, looks pretty cool- i'd keep it as it sounds like a good deal too. similar to the company store beds...have you seen them? i also love the room and board beds, but they are pretty $$. they have one with a trundle that i liked for the same reason.

ps. i have been thinking of you! we just got back from a vacation. xo to Sarah. rowan just climbed out of his crib today so it has become a pressing need to find something soon,

pixelprincess Guest

Nicole, thanks for posting this. I went to IKEA and took some dig pictures of the beds but forgot to write their names. Duh! I did like the Hemnes for the price point. I just wish they had it in a blond finish. Thanks for the mattress tip too.

rclasco, thanks for the moosehead link too!

pixelprincess Guest

thanks Andrea. I liked Winterhaven and also the Simple Pleasures Slat bed. It would be nice to find a dealer that has them locally.

Noah is doing good, thanks for asking. You have inspired me to update my avatar. Yours is always so cool.

Anyway, too be honest I'm not quite sure how much the bed cost. MIL insisted on buying the bed so I just helped choose. I did a quick online search and it looks like they are going in the $500 range. It comes with two drawers on one side and you have the option to purchase two more drawers for the other side. We didn't because his bed is pushed up against the wall.

pixelprincess Guest

Thanks Angie. I love Noah's smiley pics so you can't go wrong with any avatar :-)
    Came back from a friend's house and she is temporarily using a twin mattress on the floor. I might do that until I get the bed figured out...though hopefully it doesn't matter what mattress I buy.

We had a twin futon on the bed for a while. It worked really well.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

raynjen Guest

Just thought I'd add this...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SOLID-PINE-P...QQcmdZViewItem
    It is a Pottery Barn knock off that a seller makes in New York. I think we will be using this for our daughter (ladder removed for now).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast