entttc Guest

Default twin beds vs. double vs. bunk

It's time to buy furniture for DD's big girl room - the new baby will need the nursery soon. I know we'll probably want more than one twin bed for sleepovers, so what's best- two twins, bunk, trundle, or double?

The room is big enough for any of these, though storage space is always an issue.

Default RE: twin beds vs. double vs. bunk

I don't think the top bunk is safe for children under 6 or 7 so it may be a while till a bunkbed becomes useful. You can always set up the bunks as two twins right now and change it to bunkbeds when DD is older. If space is not an issue I would not go for a trundle. Then you can use the space under the bed for storage.

I always love the pics of little girls rooms with two white twin beds in magazines. So if could choose I would go with a bunk setup as two twins or two matching twin beds for her new room.
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

c2lane Guest

We went with bunkbeds. I ordered them a couple weekends ago. DD will be 21 months when our baby arrives and we plan on transitioning DD into the bottom bunk after she turns 2 which will be perfect timing as the baby will be ready to go from bassinet to crib.

Since our girls will be in the same room and space is an issue, we're planning on setting up the bunkbed minus the ladder. I bought a bunk set that includes storage drawers underneath. I plan on putting all the misc stuffed animals on the top until DD #1 is old enough to be on top.

Also, the bunk set we ordered will make into 2 identical twin beds, which is always a possibility if we don't feel comfortable with DD being on the top when her sister outgrows the crib.

I ended up going with a line from Vermont Precision - the bed looks very similar to PBK Catalina line.

~Carrie
    mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
    & our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040102/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]
    http://lilypie.com/days/051006/2/5/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

mom2kandj Guest

We have a bunk bed set that is being used as two separate beds in two different rooms. That being said, when DS is around 6, we will stack both beds in his room and get DD a double or a queen that will serve double duty as a guest bedroom in a pinch.

HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
    & Jack 04/16/02

netne Guest

For a girl I'd consider a double. Girls will usually share a bed for sleepovers (not so much as boys) and that would give you more under bed storage. I also like the idea of bunk beds that are separated now, and stack them when she's older. My sister & I had that arrangement when we were kids.

amck is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Have you considered doing a double on the bottom and a twin on top for bunks? We have an odd situation (too long to explain) but we've pondered this option. Stanley furniture makes these.