jvalha Guest

Default Move from Crib to Bed with New Baby on the Way

Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered. I searched and didn't find anything. Son is 23 months and new baby due on New Years Eve. Want to transition DS to his own bed. Wife and I have ruled out a toddler bed, seems a waste. Thinking of a twin or full with rails added. Thoughts or recommendations?

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Move from Crib to Bed with New Baby on the Way

We're in the same boat. DD is currently in a toddler bed, but I'm thinking instead of spending $90-100 for another crib mattress, we might as well just go for a new bedroom set for DD.

I'm thinking of getting a twin bed with a trundle. We may put DD to sleep on the trundle part, OR even if she goes on the top bed, just keep the trundle open for when she falls off. We'll have it up against a wall, btw.

Or you can always buy a cheaper kiddie bed (but uses a twin mattress) at Ikea. They have pretty good prices and most of them are pretty low to the ground anyway.

If it helps at all, most of the time that DD falls off her low toddler bed, she doesn't even wake up. HTH!

samanthamd Guest

We moved DS into a twin bed when he was 16 months old. Most of our friends have done it between 16-24 months depending on the child and any pressure from a pending sibling.

We moved dd#1 from crib to full size bed, with rails, around 2 1/2 because we liked the idea of being able to use her room as an extra guest room. DD#2 is now 20 months old and, when the time comes, we will probably get her a twin with a trundle because her room isn't as roomy for a full sized bed. I agree with you about toddler beds being a waste, especially for a 2 year old. My older daughter can't wait until her little sister can sleep with her so we like the idea of both of them having big beds that they can share!

aguinn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we moved DS into a twin bed with a snugtuck (www.snugtuck.com) when he was approx 21 months to get him very used to being out of the crib before DS#2 arrives (any time now). go for the twin - toddler beds, IMO, are a waste of money.

amy
    proud momma to DS
    and cutie #2 due 9/9/05 - it's a BOY! (Please come earlier! School starts on the 12th!)

http://b3.lilypie.com/gFqMm4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman