georginawong Guest

Default Type of wood for furniture

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at beds for my DD's room. She will be around 23 mths when baby sister arrives.

What type of wood is best for children's furniture? Does anyone have experience with 100% pine? I have been given such conflicting advice by furniture stores that it is hard to decide where to plunk my $$$.

Some stores claim that MDF is actually better than real wood because they do not crack or warp. Others say that there is no need to go 100% wood for children's furniture as they will outgrow it anyway. HMMM.....

I found this seller, doral_antics on ebay who sells 100% pine furniture in an assortment of colors. Below is an example of the bed I am interested in http://torinofurniture.com/catalog/i...ndlewhite3.jpg They actually have yellow, red, blue, green purple and their designs are great. Very similar to camelot, PBK. I am very tempted to plunk down the $160 shipping charges for his furniture just based on the colors alone but my decision hinges upon the quality of wood question.

DH has no idea as we both have no woodworking background. Please help.

Thank you!!!!!

mrsheidrich Guest

Default RE: Type of wood for furniture

Pine is not the best choice of wood for furniture because it is too soft and easily damaged.That's also why pine is so cheap. You need to look for a hard wood such as oak, beech, walnut or birch. I hope this helps you. HH

georginawong Guest

Default RE: Type of wood for furniture

Thank you so much for your help.

At least I will know what to look for in the furniture store.

Georgina