Default Bunk Bed Question

I have 2 boys- a 3 1/2 yr. old and a 22 month old. Thankfully my younger son has not climbed out of the crib yet, but I have a feeling it's coming. They share a room and I like the idea of bunk beds, but I'd like to use them separately (not stacked) until both boys are older. Are ALL bunk beds able to be set up like this or is it something I need to specifically look for this feature? Thanks!

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Bunk Bed Question

I am pretty sure most sets can be used separately as well. So I wouldn't search them out, but just make sure when you find a set you like, that they aren't an aberration, and can't be set up separately.

How do they get along sharing a room ?? I want to put my two guys in together (19 and 43 months) but haven't yet, since the "baby" is not a great sleeper.

It actually works out very well. They play with alot of the same toys and it's much easier to have it all in one room. But my younger son is a good sleeper (my 3 yr. old isn't), so I sometimes let my older son sleep in our bed for a nap. That way no one wakes the other child up. It's also nice to only have 1 room to clean each evening and 2 little boys to help. The mess is less spread out and the boys (generally) get along well.

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks - maybe I'll try it out soon. I was just waiting for the younger one to be out of his crib, and since he is the more adventurous/active/mischievious of the two, I'd like to put that off as long as possible !!

As it is now, the baby's room is just a small small room with crib, changing table, and his clothes, and they play together in the big boy's room.

Laila Guest

Not to neg, but there are many that do not separate and many that do.

kboyle Guest

I got bunk beds for DS's 2nd bday, a month before DS2 arrived. All of the wooden bunks we looked at separated, I think the metal ones are the ones that don't separate.

A little OT, but if you are going to need bed rails for either DS I would reconsider a bunk and get 2 twins. Regular bed rails DO NOT work with bunk beds or bed w/o a box spring. Bunks come with top rails, but none for the bottom.

While DS1 is using the bottom bunk we attached the top rails to the bottom. We've got a year or more to figure out how to get a second rail.

The only option I've come up with is the snug tuck pillow (www.snugtuckpillow.com). Which we may just by one and not use the rails we've got, they are kinda crappy.

HTH